Author: Subject: Ripped 5.4 sail
Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:26 Reply With Quote
Ripped 5.4 sail

I fell through my sail today which im still really pissed of about. The sail is a NP 5.4 Supersonic shear tip from about 2000 I think. Not really a wave or freestyle sail, but a slalom race sail.
The sail has seen quite a lot of use but the rips the 4th panel down just above boom height and the panels completely shredded.

Im just wanting to know whether or not it would be worth repairing and how much it would cost to repair a complete panel back in the UK as Ive never had to get anything repaired before.
Im going down to the local sail repaier guy on Mon to maybe get it fixed.
My alternative is to get another second hand 5.5 sail depending on how much the repair for a whole new panel would be.
any comments about previous experiences would be much appreciated.
Im trynna attach a photo but the comps not recognising my camera

Jonny

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:43 Reply With Quote
Probably around £50, but if you take it to the local sail repairer in NZ it could well be cheaper. I know I once needed a small repair to one of my sails, and couldn't be bother to send it off and pay the postage to get it repaired as the total cost would then have been around £50 for a £25 repair... I took it to the local cobblers and he repaired it for £3.50!!

And it worked fine for many years after that. I then sold it and as far as I know it is still going strong as I occassionally get an e-mail from the guy who bought it telling me what a good time the sail is still giving him!

Sounds as though you need some more wind now so that you can use your 4.5m sail!... Welcome to the world of wave-sailing, you'll be breaking kit all the time!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 11-2-2005 at 07:55 Reply With Quote
Thanks for that al but I cant afford to break any kit. It can be easily done in the waves as Ive found out for myself so ive just gotta be really careful for the next few weeks.
Theres a 20 knot westerly forecast for tomorrow so looks like i'l be doing some flat water speed sailing on my 6.3 in the harbour. Wont be anywhere near as much fun as today though out in the waves.
Ive been looking around for second hand 5.5 sails and there way out of my budget so think i'l just get it repaired which could mean waiting around this place for a few days. I either want the wind to be up to 20 knots or over 25 and that would suit me.
Thanks again Al

Jonny

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 11-2-2005 at 08:06 Reply With Quote
No problem.... but DON"T be careful in the waves, as that really is a recipe for disaster. As soon as you try to be gentle to your kit and are conscious of breaking things, then its a pretty safe bet that you WILL break something!... Just go for it!

Al.

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 11-2-2005 at 09:27 Reply With Quote
I apply that to pretty much everything - and it costs me a fortune!
Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 12-2-2005 at 02:42 Reply With Quote
Well I went to the local sailmaker and hes gonna have it repaired by monday which should cost somewhere around $40 which is 15 quid. Absolute bargain!

My UV joints on the verge of breaking as well at the moment so Im not gonna be able to go out again as I cant risk a UV joint breakin on me out at sea.
It was creaking and groaning all throughout my session ive just had and the nylock rked its way of the thread almost.
Its an ART fixed UV joint. ART dont exist anymore so I gotta get a complete new mast extension along with mast base which is gonna be expensive. I was gonna try and just convert the rigid part to a rubber joint but am unable to.

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 12-2-2005 at 02:45 Reply With Quote
Managed to hand my sail in today for repair so its gonna be ready for monday. Its only gonna cost me 40 bucks which is 15quid. absolute Bargain!!

From one thing to another, my UV joints on the verge of going as it was creaking and groaning throughout today. Its an ART fixed UV joint and the nylock nut has worked its way off the thread almost. ART dont exist anymore so im gonna hve to get a copmplete new masta base extension etc. which is another pain in the arse.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 12-2-2005 at 08:14 Reply With Quote
I've snapped two UJ's already this year! Are you sure you will need to get a new extension and deckplate??? I always buy my UJ's along with the deckplate as a complete unit and they come with several fittings to fit most extensions. Take your extension along to the shop and see if they have a base/UJ with a pin that will be compatible with your extension. The ones I buy here usually cost about £25, and although I've snapped 2 this year, they usually last for a year or s0 (and the ones I snapped were quite old).

Time for me to do some shopping soon as well:
5.7m sail
6.3m sail
430 mast
2 deckplates/ UJ's
A fin
and I could do with a 4m sail as well.!

I guess I should get myself off to work then!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 12-2-2005 at 08:14 Reply With Quote
I've snapped two UJ's already this year! Are you sure you will need to get a new extension and deckplate??? I always buy my UJ's along with the deckplate as a complete unit and they come with several fittings to fit most extensions. Take your extension along to the shop and see if they have a base/UJ with a pin that will be compatible with your extension. The ones I buy here usually cost about £25, and although I've snapped 2 this year, they usually last for a year or s0 (and the ones I snapped were quite old).

Time for me to do some shopping soon as well:
5.7m sail
6.3m sail
430 mast
2 deckplates/ UJ's
A fin
and I could do with a 4m sail as well.!

I guess I should get myself off to work then!

Al.

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 14-2-2005 at 23:32 Reply With Quote
My sail was done for 9AM yesterday. He only charged $35 which is 13 quid and the repairs as good as new. You wouldn't even know its been repaired without close examination. I still cant beleive he charged so little.

Hey got my UV joint replaced. Went to a windsurfing shop in Wellington and one in Christchurch a few weeks ago and they said I'd have to get a complete new mast extension and base etc. as it wasnt compatible with any other system.

I luckily got to know one of the local guys out in Tauranga who works in the local surf/windsurfing shop who I sailed with on Friday and he said he should be able to change it to a rubber UV joint. Eventually after a lot of messing around with lenghts of threads etc, its been converted to a rubber joint and ive got 2 nylock nuts holding the base to the rubber joint, one of the nuts is there to lock the other nut. There both also sealed together with loctite so its not gonna come apart on me. Wasnt really designed for a conversion but we somehow managed to make it work.
From one problem to another, ive now gotta get my surf board repaired. It was absolutely immaculate before yesterdays little accident, there were no pressure dings and not even a little scratch on it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy