Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 7th September 2004 Diary Entry by andyc.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-9-2004 at 06:21 Reply With Quote
Re: 7th September 2004 Diary Entry by andyc.

On 7th September 2004, andyc wrote:

quote:
Windsurfing: Ynyslas Estuary
Wind Direction: NE
Wind Stength: 15-20kts
Surf / Sea State: Flat
Air Temperature: 23
Sea Temperature: 17
Weather: Sunny

First visit to the area after recommendation from brother, Nick, also a user of this site. All i can say is thanks for the heads up Nick, what a great place to sail. I'm just getting back into the sport after 15-20yrs racing dinghys. I'm hooked completely but not sure why? I spend half my time trying to get my f***ing feet in the footstraps and the rest shelling out obscene amounts of cash on repairs to the nose of my board after yet another catapult dismount. I've remedied this by fitting a nose protector, not cool but allows me to spend my wedge on something other than repairs, namely winsurfing bits and pieces that i probably don't really need.
Back to the sail, started off with the 5.4 but felt underpowered so switched to the 6.5. The breeze immediately picked up and was now well overpowered, should have gone back to the 5.4 but too lazy, must get another boom so can have a rig ready to swap. Anyway spent the next 3 hours reaching back and forth near the bend in the estuary right next to the carpark allowing me to practise my water/beach starts. Towards the end of the session really getting to grips with the balance of the rig. As far as actually sailing it felt like i was going seriously quickly but i am having loads of probs getting both feet into the straps, getting the front foot in is not to much of a problem but as soon as i try with the back foot, i look down, take the weight of the rig on my arms so causing me to unhook, this then means i sink the tail and screw up into wind, what a nightmare, i know what i should be doing ie trying to keep the weight of the rig on the harness and therefore being light on my feet but it doesn't seem to be happening. Anyone got any any good tips on how to sort this? regardless of this it was still a great session and looking forward to my next visit, possibly with my bro. ps anyone seeing someone sailing a starboard carve 131 badly in the area (ie me) don't hesitate to tell me what i'm doing wrong, it will be much appreciated!!
I've given this session 4 stars, not for my performance, but for the conditions and the place.

Hi Andy, and welcome.
Glad you enjoyed yourself here, we'll soon have you out sailing in the waves on the seafront... But for now, the estuary will be the perfect location for you.

As far as your 'getting in the backstrap' problem goes, start by just putting your backfoot on top of the strap, or almost in it rather than wedging your foot in properly. this will get you used to the feeling of maintaining mastfoot pressure while you are at the back of the board, which will keep the nose of the board down and prevent the tail from sinking. To do this concentrate on pushing down through the mast into with your fron hand on the boom as you move back, and maybe bear the board away a little at the same time by standing up onto your toes with your front foot. Trying not to put your foot right into the strap to start with will stop you having to look down at it and wiggle it about to get it in there. Looing down at your foot will mean you shift too much weight towards the tail of the board (where your eyes/head go, your body follows) therefore sinking it, and wiggling your feet about to get into the straps will upset the trim of the board... Eventually you'll do it all withoout looking down at all as ideally you want to stay looking where you are going.

Other than that, just practise, practise, practise. You'll get it in no time.

I'll look out for you on the water. I'll be the one with the dark blue transit and a blue ice-hockey helmet with face-mask.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-9-2004 at 06:26 Reply With Quote
Oh, and what happened to Nick, I thought he was coming to Borth this week... Was he here with you? I didn't see him.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 14-9-2004 at 18:20 Reply With Quote
Afraid I couldn't make it Al, due to work commitments first, then illness then son's third Birthday.

Clearly I missed an epic week, the diary entries made me even more envious!

I've got a few days leave left to take this year so hope to get over with Andrew at least a couple of times. Trying to keep the Boardwise weekend free but the Sunday's already gone but still hoping for a Friday/Saturday visit.

Cheers

Nick

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy