Author: Subject: Jet Ski Nuisance... Public Meeting
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-9-2004 at 19:58 Reply With Quote
Jet Ski Nuisance... Public Meeting

I've just discovered that there is a public meeting concerning the 'Jet Ski Nuisance' at the Borth Community Hall on Monday 6th Sept at 6.30pm...

Be there to view your concerns whichever side you happen to be on concerning jet skis.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 3-9-2004 at 20:39 Reply With Quote
what nuisance?!? whenever i see em theyre always way off coast :s

'spose theyve gotta do it somewhere!

see ya 2moro!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Pauly
Grommet

Member #: 248
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2004 at 12:28 Reply With Quote
Al, can you let us know how the 'JetSki' meeting goes? I cant make it as dont live nearby, just visit Borth for the Jetskiing and Kite flying. I hope theyre open minded and dont exagerate the 'Jetski threat'.
dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 6-9-2004 at 16:04 Reply With Quote
Pauly,

You could always sell your jetski and buy a kiteboard !

You'll have loads of fun and think what the hell was I riding a jetski for anyway.

Its the forces of nature , get it ?

Oh , and well done Chris for telling the Quad biker where to go last week

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 6-9-2004 at 21:50 Reply With Quote
Apparently the meeting was quite an affair.... Loads of locals and about 4 jet-skiers from the Midlands. Most locals felt pretty strongly that jet-skis were a nuisance and they didn't want them here. The Jet Skiers flet that as they lived in a horrible place in the Midlands it was their right to come to the coast and enjoy themselves (even if it ruins the place for others).

Lots of shouting and being shouted at, but no conclusions, except for the fact that it is illegal for the council to ban jet skis from the beach anyway! Look as though it will run and its about time a compromise and some regulations were put in place.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 7-9-2004 at 11:53 Reply With Quote
They could limit the speed by making someone walk in front of those infernal machines with a red flag.

Oh no - that was automobiles - wasn't it.

All that is needed are some sensible regulations about where to launch and a speed restriction near the beach. We don't want to set any precedents about banning things, (some peeps would like to ban anything that they don't understand; Incl. Kites; so beware)

qualigs
Hot shot

Member #: 9
Posts 32

Mood: Moochin'

posted on 7-9-2004 at 13:23 Reply With Quote
A couple of our local beaches have yellow bouys marking the safe bathing areas. Jet skiers aren't permitted to play within these, leaving them plenty of area to splash about whilst those that need shallows or surf are protected... Happy days...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Pauly
Grommet

Member #: 248
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 7-9-2004 at 16:29 Reply With Quote
Yeah Borths got yellow buoys and most of the regular jetskiers abide by the rules. In the summer it can get abit busy, but it just needs a little policing and at £11 per launch thats gotta be possible.

Dunk, I did understand the 'Forces of Nature' bit. I Kite landboard and kayak at Borth too!

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2004 at 13:26 Reply With Quote
Here's what the Cambrian News had to say about it all. It seems like most jet skiers are sensible and are happy to ride in teh right places but as with everything it's just a few careless people who spoil it for everyone else.

"Jet skiers have been chasing dolphins in the sea off Borth beach, a local councillor has claimed.

Diane Richards, Chair of Borth Community Council, told a packed public meeting that she had stood on the cliff at Borth and watched jet skiers chase the creatures in the water below.

She made the claim as more than 50 local residents gathered on Monday evening to demand action on the issue of the jet ski nuisance from Ceredigion tourist chief Niel Owen. Cllr Richards also claimed that the county council’s recorded figures for jet skis during the peak holiday season at Borth – 18 per day – were ‘a joke’, and that the real numbers were much higher.

Local residents at the meeting complained about the noise made by the jet skis as well as the threat to wildlife on what is part of the Heritage Coast. There were also concerns that irresponsible jet skiers were going too close to many children who swim off Borth beach.

Borth resident John Hefyn accused Ceredigion council of dragging its feet over the issue. “This has been going on since the early 1990s and Ceredigion County Council has been going round and round in circles like the jet skiers,” he said. “Why can’t you get together with Pembrokeshire and Gwynedd to create a coherent policy for Cardigan Bay?”

Niel Owen agreed that Gwynedd council had tightened up regulations on jet skiers but said it was not possible for Ceredigion to impose a ban on jet skiers in Borth. He said the reason other Ceredigion resorts had managed to ban them was because places like New Quay had harbours and the harbourmaster could invoke byelaws against the jet skiers. But because Borth has no harbour those byelaws do not apply.

A small group of jet skiers had travelled from the West Midlands to attend the meeting. They claimed the problem was down to irresponsible jet-skiers who had not undergone training and did not possess a licence.

When they told residents that they liked to escape the busy, noisy area where they live for the peace and tranquillity of Borth, local people couldn’t hide their feelings. Borth resident Anthony Morris said: “It’s unfortunate that someone who wants to escape the rumble of cars and lorries in the West Midlands has to create a noise on the water here instead."

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 8-9-2004 at 14:33 Reply With Quote
The definition of irony?

Jetskiers are complaining about the noise of engines!

Its made me laugh all afternoon, completly brilliant

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 9-9-2004 at 10:50 Reply With Quote
Can't help thinking about the 'chasing dolphins' bit as well. If that is something worth banning then the ferries from Poole to Cherbourg need to be banned as you frequenly see them chasing dolphins....or maybe the dolphins are just playing in front of the ferry.....

As always, when people get heated they often say some funny things!

PS - Not pro, or anti just commenting

Is there wind on the way??

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 9-9-2004 at 11:10 Reply With Quote
Where as I hate the damn things!

Until I get the call from a mate of mine to spend another day playing around and wakeboarding behind his.......

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 9-9-2004 at 20:52 Reply With Quote
oh bugger i better put of buying one now ...for those windless days

To Infirmary and beyond..

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy