dynoben
Grommet

Member #: 621
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 10-8-2004 at 17:14 Reply With Quote
Navigable inland water for canoes

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone will know about this but I'll ask anyway!!

I've just got myself a kayak as my light wind alternative when I'm at the coast but due to my total inexperience I was hoping to get out on some inland lakes, rivers or canals before venturing out to sea. I though us windsurfers had it bad with access problems but it appears all waterways in England and Wales are privately owned and with the odd exception closed to anyone wanting to get wet. Does anyone know of any guides/websites/etc. that list any water ways/lakes that are legally navigable, preferably in the North of England or North Wales?

Cheers
Ben

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 10-8-2004 at 17:40 Reply With Quote
surely you wouldnt have a problem in a kayak on a canal? or river?

i ride miles along canals on bike and i've seen people canoeing, but never noticed anybody employed to catch some poor chap having fun in the water?!?

who's gonna know?

can't imagine a kayak causing so much wake to collapse the banks or leave a trail of diesel, oil and grease for the length of the canal!

and my grandparents own a caravan on a site on the river severn, most people with caravans along the riverside own a kayak/canoe of some description and they never have any hassle as far as i'm aware!

i say just go for it, discretely perhaps, and if you get any trouble of somebody just say rob said it was fine

rob

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 10-8-2004 at 20:49 Reply With Quote
My mate goes 'paddling' in Poole harbour on a regular basis. He tells me that Christchurh is alos an excellent venue.

Ok so they are both a trek from Sheffield, but they are good for sailing and paddling....

Is there wind on the way??

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-8-2004 at 05:47 Reply With Quote
Yeah, coastal waters are OK, but I think you are supposed to have a permit to canoe/kayak on many rivers and lakes... Although as Rob said, you coudl just do it and plead ignorance.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

jblade
Grommet

Member #: 435
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 20-9-2004 at 08:16 Reply With Quote
kayaking

Your not allowed to paddle all rivers because of the maggot drowners (fishermen). Your allowed to paddle any tidal part of a river. There is no problem of paddling rivers in the winter because there is loads of water (take care for fallen trees ect) and no maggot drowners. Make sure take someone with you for safety.

If you find any play spots on your travels let me know. Feel free to ansk any more questions as I am a level 2 kayak coach.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy