Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 14-6-2004 at 18:58 Reply With Quote
Poole (Studland)

I saw in the diaries that Nick launched from the Studland side of the harbour. Whats the info? Where do you launch from? Is it in the harbour or out to sea? I've often slept over there, but never sailed. Could save a load in parking charges!
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-6-2004 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
I've sailed both the sea-side (Studland Bay itself) and within the harbour on that side. Studland bay itself is nice, but there are parking charges for the car parks there and it can be quite a trek from the car park to the water with your kit..... Theres also a naturist beach there, so if you end up downwind you could get to see a little more of a few people than you bargained for!!

If you follow the road towards the ferry, you can park free of charge (or at least it used to be) all along the road and sail in the harbour in a small shallow bay called Bramblebush Bay. Its really nice in there, and there was even a pub/restaurant on a barge in the bay when I was there. I also sailed out and across to Brownsea Island, dodging all the boats on the way.... It was a while ago (about 6 years) that I was last there, and about 12 years since I sailed in Studland Bay, so things may have changed though. Hopefully someone more 'in the know' will add some details to the Beachguides.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 15-6-2004 at 13:14 Reply With Quote
BXFS is the man to hear from. What Al says is still true (as far as I am aware). I can really recommned the Shell resturant overlooking the habour near the ferry. Lovely fish food - book in advance though.

Studland beach is National Trust so I think if you are a member you can park for free but still have a trek unless you drive further up and park near the info centre where you can park about 50yds from the water.

Im not sure how much NT membership is but if you plan sailing there quite abit it might be worthwihle joining just for the parking.

[Edited on 15-6-2004 by Shaka]

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 16-6-2004 at 13:27 Reply With Quote
Yes it was a great spot for working on those gybes. Bumped into a local windsurfer in Swanage nr the campsite we were staying and he recommended the spot, saying there's always wind there!

Al's right, you can still park for free either side of the main road for approx 200m before you hit the ferry/car park roundabout.

It's an ideal spot for sailing in the harbour, small beach+grass rigging area just the other side of the dunes. Fewer people/boats to avoid - seemed to be mainly locals.

Its a longer walk if you wanted to sail from Shell beach (the seafront) - you'd need to make a few trips too.

The only downside I could see is that there's nowhere to buy a drink/ice cream.....just the fish restaurant!

cheers

Nick

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy