Author: Subject: Croyde Blown Out?
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 5-6-2004 at 15:57 Reply With Quote
Croyde Blown Out?

I went to Croyde Bay on Bank Holiday Monday and immediately i went for a sponge. The waves were pretty good for bodyboarding, with a fairly good wall and a nice break of left and rights. That surf session only lasted around 20 mins though

Next morning i go to the beach only to find that the waves are below 2ft....more like around 6inches-1ft. And another thing, it was really messy! Loads of white water. I was anything but stoked.

The next day (wednesday) i went in, the surf hadn't really improved apart from it had more power and still was messy, there was a really big undercurrent as well! Then I got stitch so I came out anyway for a bit.

I just couldn’t believe my luck. I don’t live near the coast so I only get to bodyboard on holiday and rarely when I go to the polluted area of Sutton-On-Sea. So, for about 2 months I’ve been sitting, watching the sick surf on the Croyde-Surf-Cam and then the very week that I go to bodyboard, the moment I wait for all year and the surf and swell magically decides to stop and turn sh***y! To make matters worse, there was a light onshore wind with hardly no speed anyway!

Why me? At least I got some better surf on Thursday….but it still wasn’t the well known surf Croyde Bay is famous for. I nearly considered buying an atuna skimboard, but I thought I’d be rubbish at it. It sounds a bit dangerous.

So, does anyone else have any stories, surf sessions to moan or gloat about? What did people get up to this bank holiday surf wise?

Looking forward to your replies.
Cheers, Airborne.

P.S. does anyone know where I can find skimboard online tips/tuition? Eg. A website or something.

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 7-6-2004 at 09:28 Reply With Quote
I was catchin waves at abersoch on the bank holiday! not huge ones but a great deal of fun! and the waters warm!!! YYeeeHaaa! didn't need gloves! and i've got a nice tan on my face! But the jelly fish were out in force.......bugger!
rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 8-6-2004 at 08:32 Reply With Quote
i saw a jelly fish the other day!! horrible looking things!! needless to say i was soon out the water! (yeh yeh take the p*ss!!) it was only a small one, but i've seen bigger that have been washed up on the beach which led me to believe that this little one's mom or dad could be fast approaching my legs for a quick snack!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 8-6-2004 at 18:32 Reply With Quote
I know what you mean! One year at Croyde the beach was full of 'em! Under the seaweed, floating in the water, on the rocks...EVERYWHERE!
Luckily the full wetsuit mananges to stop them, but its not that nice when they float right next to your board and gently head towards your leg!
That reminds me...at least it wasn't that great white shark that was supposedly seen near Baggy Point at Croyde Bay!

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 9-6-2004 at 11:23 Reply With Quote
Jelly fish really are 'orrible creatures! useless in my opinion..... I know they must add to the eco-system in some way (like eating algae or something) but lets face it... they generaly just get swept up onto your board or slap you in the face if a wave breaks.. and then the little gits have the nerve to sting you! filthy beasts!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy