Author: Subject: How to setup an internet weather station
Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 4-6-2004 at 10:40 Reply With Quote
How to setup an internet weather station

My local sailing club (Bartley Green, Brum)seems to have very localised wind conditions. On a number of occasions it's been windy enough to sail where I live (fifteen miles south) yet twenty minutes later when I get to the club it's flat as a mill pond. This isn't just sod's law, and it works the other way round too. Probably something to do with the fact the reservoir is on top of a hill and I'm further south in the severn valley.

The other day, after a yet another futile trek, I suggested to the club secretary that they should invest in an internet accessible weather station, so members can check the conditions at the club before they set off. She seemed to think this was a good idea and asked me to come back with a detailed proposal including costs.

The club already has a PC with broadband connection so it should just be the sensors + software I require. Ideally the software should be able to display realtime+trend information, and send out email alerts based on configurable thresholds. I'd also like to integrate a webcam. The clubhouse PC is approx 20m from the most suitable place for the sensors so a wireless solution would be best.

The Whitstable Windsurfing weathercam http://www.whitstablewindsurfing.com/Weather/weather.aspx

seems to have the sort of info we'd need.

There's plenty of stuff out on the web, but from personal experience can anyone recommend a good weathercam solution and give an idea of costs? Ideally I'd like to provide costs for basic and bells and whistles type solutions.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

ps Al ... perhaps you should get one of these for the FON site..... could save you an extra 20mins in bed!

justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 4-6-2004 at 14:57 Reply With Quote
Nick,

if I remember correctly Al has done his research so will eb able to give you a detailed answer on this one (no surprises there then!). A FON weather station is a good idea but as braodband is yet to make it to Borth I think we'll just have to wait a bit

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 4-6-2004 at 17:10 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'd love to set oine up here, but as Anna pointed out, without Broadband its a little difficult.

There are quite a few different types of wehater station out there, but the best seems to be the Davis Vantage. I'll see if I can find all the info on them for you later.... Bit busy at the mo!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

vdubs
Grommet

Member #: 806
Posts 11

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2004 at 08:44 Reply With Quote
Hi Nick, you may want to call Rik at www.Rikswindsurfing.com

He has a weather station setup and they look like impressive pieces of kit. Between £100-200 quid depend on what you want and he is a reseller for them

Here's his weather page below

http://www.rikswindsurfing.com/siteweather/currentconditions.htm />
Hope this helps

Keith

www.vdubs.freeuk.com

vdubs@freeuk.com

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy