Author: Subject: Newbie saying hello and asking for advice
Groober

Member #: 51
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 23-8-2002 at 12:25 Reply With Quote
Newbie saying hello and asking for advice

Hey all!
This is such a cool site! I wanted to say hello and to ask some of you more experienced people for some advice. I used to go windsurfing quite alot when I was a kid (a mates Dad was an instructor)and havent done it again for years. I want to get back into it but I just dont know what kit to go for.......Any one have some advice for me??

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 23-8-2002 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
Hi Groober,

welcome to the "club"!

How much windsurfing did you do in those days? Which manouvers were you confident with? (Gybing, water start, any jumps?)
That, I would say, determines which kit you should go for. As a complete beginner there are easy to learn boards on the market. The general rule is, the wider the board the easier it is to learn on. Of course, the volume of the board is just as important.

I started out many years back on a Mistral 360. 3,6 meters long that was with probably 160 liters volume. I did not get too far on that maily due to my lack of interest at the time then.
Then I took up windsurfing again 5 years ago and bought an intermediate board of about 280 cm length with 104 liters volume. That, maybe a notch bigger is what I would recomend to you too.
Also you weight is not to be neglected. The haeavier you are, the more volume you should start out on.
So if you can give us a few more details our advice can be a bit more precise.

Of course, going to a beach and talking to a few windsurfers there will also give you a lot of insight, just as any windsurf shop will have loads of advice (hopefully not only commercially orientated).

Cheers

Joe

Groober

Member #: 51
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 26-8-2002 at 15:00 Reply With Quote
Thanks

Many thanks Grommet! Im off to the beach!

Big smiles!!!!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy