Author: Subject: How to improve on the waterstart
robsurfer
Hot shot

Member #: 518
Posts 30

Mood:

posted on 11-4-2004 at 20:14 Reply With Quote
How to improve on the waterstart

Any one got any advice on water starts, I can water start most of the time, but don't seem to always get the sail unstuck from the water and fly the rig.

Uphauling an 86l board when this happens is not much fun although I can do it!!!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-4-2004 at 20:22 Reply With Quote
The secret to getting the sail flying is to really pull it into the wind rather than trying to lift it out of the water.

Resting the boom on the tail of the board before trying to get it flying helps as well, but the real trick is to throw the mast into the wind far enough to get the clew to release from the water. If you don't throw it into the wind far enough, the sail will start to fly, but the clew will get caught and the sail will probably end up flipping over to the other side. Its then in the most difficult place to get it flying again and you have to start positioning it all over again.... Practise makes perfect!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

robsurfer
Hot shot

Member #: 518
Posts 30

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2004 at 11:36 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justal
The secret to getting the sail flying is to really pull it into the wind rather than trying to lift it out of the water.

Resting the boom on the tail of the board before trying to get it flying helps as well, but the real trick is to throw the mast into the wind far enough to get the clew to release from the water. If you don't throw it into the wind far enough, the sail will start to fly, but the clew will get caught and the sail will probably end up flipping over to the other side. Its then in the most difficult place to get it flying again and you have to start positioning it all over again.... Practise makes perfect!!

Al.

You have it spot on that’s exactly whats been happening to the clew. I was thinking may be I should have the sail the opposite side of the board to the wind and tyre reaching over the board and swinging the mast to wind, as it don’t think my boom misses the back of the board.

any way cheers for the advice, need some wind now to go out in. I can't see the wind filling in today, 4 days of work and no wind, I guess its time to get out on the mountain bike.

[Edited on 12-4-2004 by robsurfer]

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 12-4-2004 at 21:50 Reply With Quote
I tend to use the up haul rope,& just give it a sharp pull towards me,the rig usally flies with out the clew catching & gets out of the water about a foot , & as it getting pulled up by the wind go straight into the waterstart in 1 motion. so instead of flying it then waterstarting do it all in 1 quick motion.Hard to explain! but i find its quick which is handy when you got white-water bearing down on you!!! i expect people have loads of variations?
Spence...

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy