Author: Subject: What a weekend!!!
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 5-4-2004 at 06:18 Reply With Quote
What a weekend!!!

From the Personal Diaries on this site it looks as though most people had some wind over the weekend and managed to enjoy themselves.

We had a good time here. Saturday was quite busy with about 12 of us on the water altogether. I managed a kitesurf and windsurf session and Spencer, Steve, Dunk and I then had a pleasant evening in the Firendship too. Shame the Sun sisn't really put in an appearance.

Sunday was just perfect, not enough wind to start with so a 'heart attack breakfast' was called, then the wind gradualy increased from 6.3m weather, through 5.7m weather to 5m weather, In fact I would have got away with 4.5m really, but couldn't be bothered to change again so just cranked on tonnes of downhaul and hoped for the best.

And then, to top it all of, I WENT FOR MY FIRST EVER FORWARD LOOP ATTEMPT!!! It is quite a mad rotation, but Steve said it looked like a forward, so I must have been doing something right. Quite a milestone in my windsurfing career really as I've been wanting to try one for ages, but have never had the guts. Now that I've done it I'm glad I did.... It didn't even hurt and was actually quite funny.

Spencer didn't see it, so on my next run as I was going towards him I went for another... Once again I survived relatively unscathed. So, Spencer and I then started going for them in earnest.

Amazingly, on about my 6th attempt, I made it all the way around, landed and sailed away... I still can\t believe it I've done a Forward Loop! Spencer got close too and managed to waterstart away from one and we both had loads of laughs going for them. Can't wait to get the right conditions to try it again.

Hope everyone else had such a good weekend.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 5-4-2004 at 08:49 Reply With Quote
Nice one Al - It is very spooky but I did the same on the sunday, although didnt actually sail away from one but only managed a water start finish. My back took a bit of a pounding. Excellent feeling though isnt it.

I think I wasnt sheeting in enough as my back was hitting the water and sometimes it was my arse which felt better - ooerrrr missus!!!

Nice one.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-4-2004 at 06:47 Reply With Quote
It certainly is a good feeling. As you said in your diary entry, it took some guts to go for them each time though... every single one was a little scary!

Did you have any where your feet came out of the straps?? I don't like those too much! My back was OK, but I did have a sore ear after one of the early attempts.

It was a good laugh though (even the wipeouts were funny!) and its not often I come out of the water grinning like that... I still can't quite believe it!

I was up for doing some more yesterday, despite aching like mad. I rigged up, but just as I did the wind dropped so I came home again...It soon picked up afterwards, but I think it was a good thing really as a rest day was very much needed...Maybe today if the wind holds until the afternoon, although it will be on a different tack which should be 'interesting'.

Al.

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 6-4-2004 at 06:59 Reply With Quote
My feet came out of the straps twice - once only the back foot which made my front twist and gave me big time cramp for a while. Not to bad as it was only chest deep water so no worries.

With regard to your ear - check our Pro plugs - i brought a set a week ago knowin i was going to really try and crack these loops. They are designed to stop surfers ear but also help in reducing perforated ear drums and infections from sewrage. £12 a pair. Maybe gimicking buy but I didnt fabcy blown ear drums - www.proplugs.com. As you wear a helmet you should be ok without them.

Good luck today - any future pointers always gladly rceicvd.

No wind due for the w/e - hope it changes.

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 6-4-2004 at 22:32 Reply With Quote
MMM... my shoulders/ass.buttocks right arm still hurt & its tuesday,still grinning now though,so was worth it.funnily enough my ears ok so maybe those gath helmets arnt so bad after all/ My feet must have come out of the straps at least 10 times!!! also have a bent boom! Roll on next time?

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Spencer]

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-4-2004 at 06:04 Reply With Quote
Glad you're back online Spencer.... I thought for a while that the only witness to my loop was going to be offline until it was all forgotten about.

Just read your diary entry...Sounds as though you enjoyed it as much as me. After yesterdays attempts though I'm glad my first attempts were on port tack as if they had been on starboard tack I don't think I would ever have tried one again!!!

Al.

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 7-4-2004 at 12:20 Reply With Quote
Well done al and spencer, I should of hung around to see it. Don't stop trying now though, it'll only get better !!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy