Author: Subject: sola suits
scotty
Beach Bum

Member #: 424
Posts 22

Mood:

posted on 21-3-2004 at 19:10 Reply With Quote
sola suits

Can anyone tell me if the new sola vortex suit I have got is to big, I fit into the dimensions ie chest and waist but am maybe slightly under height but not much (must have shrunk in the wash or something). There seems to be extra neoprene in the upper arms is this normal in suits with accross the shoulder zips ? (for movement) or is it just a bad fit I was always told a suit had to be good fit. The picture of the suit on sola's site also seems to have extra material bunched around the armpits. The other thing is it is a real struggle to close and open the zip I have been told to use bee's wax does any one else struggle with shoulder zips ? Any thoughts on this apprieciated in case I have to exchange.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 21-3-2004 at 20:41 Reply With Quote
Semi-Dry suits with horizontal zips do have extra material and quite a bit of 'baggyness' in the shoulder and upper arm area.... If it was tight, you wouldn't be able to move your arms as the zip isn't very flexible.... You'll still be nice and toasty though so don't worry about it as far as the fit goes.

Bees Wax certainly does help on the zip. Just get a bar of it and rub it all along the zip. Its best to get someone else to do the zip up for you, but if you are on your own, then tying a pices of rope to a fixed object (roof rack or something similar at shoulder height and them attaching that the zipper will help you to do it up and undo it...Just make sure the piece of rope i slong wnough so that you can detach yourself from it once you have done it up...Otherwise you'll spend and embarrasing couple of hours tied to your roofrack until someone can release you!!!

I got a Sola Semi-Dry suit, but one of the seams on the knee split today...Will have to get the neoprene glue out. (It is a year old, so has had some use).

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 22-3-2004 at 17:16 Reply With Quote
The semi-dry suits are supposed to be baggy and the dry zip is supposed to be stiff. They recommend that you get someone else to do your zip up for you, as you shouldn't be sailing alone (especially in winter, should you Al)

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 22-3-2004 at 19:36 Reply With Quote
ripped the zip out of my pryde suit again sat rushing to get out to water , but conditions looked so good sailed with no zip in ,guys recon i,m mad but as i explained the local swimmer who,s always at beach had just done a lenth in SHORTS only and he was,nt moaning.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 23-3-2004 at 11:03 Reply With Quote
Kelvin have to got the 4000 with the plastic zip? if so have a go at getting it replaced. For a year they was make with a plastic zip which kept breaking out of about 10 suits sold at Brogborough with plastic zips all of them broke. The 4000 is made with a metal zip now

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 23-3-2004 at 15:29 Reply With Quote
no had metal zip , but i litterally tore the suit off after Fri session and threw it in beach side bin , picked up new suit ready for weekend another pryde 500o series.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
scotty
Beach Bum

Member #: 424
Posts 22

Mood:

posted on 24-3-2004 at 20:28 Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help it must have seemed obvious but never seen anyone with a semi dry before
shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 26-3-2004 at 10:04 Reply With Quote
Hey scotty - i bought the same suit as you last night - there's plenty of spare room around arms and shoulder area in mine too but am quite happy that it's the right size. It also leaves plenty of room for a vest underneath for really mingin cold weather, which is a good thing.

Which reminds me - has anyone used one of those fleecy rash vest things that go under your suit. Saw one in Robin Hood last night & it looked nice, but pricey at £30.00.

Don't have a cow man!

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 26-3-2004 at 12:14 Reply With Quote
Shawn - not sure if its the same one as you mention but I wear an oneil vest underneath my suit. Man made matrerial like fleecy lycra and neoprene mix, not sure.

Not thick but certainly thicker than a rash vest. Very tight fitting and is an absolute top purchase. I paid £30 for it and well worth it. Really helps keep upper body warm and notice difference when out in the wind.

I will be wearing it under my summer suit come spring and also use it in summer with shorts as its 100% uv protection when wet.

Lofly
Grommet

Member #: 373
Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 26-3-2004 at 13:18 Reply With Quote
yep, I've got the o'neill vest too - best purchase I ever made. If you have a crap fitting neckseal (or odd shaped neck) water down the backzip is a thing of the past........
shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 26-3-2004 at 15:12 Reply With Quote
That sounds like the thing - and the two of you have pretty much sold me on 'em already (i'm a right cold weather wuss). Cheers for the response.

Don't have a cow man!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy