Author: Subject: Extreme Holidays
shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 15-3-2004 at 17:07 Reply With Quote
Extreme Holidays

I'm not sure how to spell kiteing/ kiting, so please excuse the variety of spellings I have opted for.

I went away with a pal to FuerteV for a week (25 feb) with Extreme Holidays intending to get to grips with kitesurfing. The kiteing operation is based in corralejo (accomodation was excellent until a mid week party turned it into a scene of carnage that we never recovered from)but the instructors pick you up daily and take you (supposedly) to wherever is most suitable that day. It was massively windy all week (25kts - 35kts) with big surf and would have been the best windsurfing holiday I'd ever had, but unfortunately not ideal for kiting it seems.

A good deal of time (a bit too much really) was spent in the dunes behind flag beach, practicing flying in relative safety. I feel this was a good place to start. However, after a couple of days of this we were taken down to Sotavento, which appears to be the only place extreme holidays use for kiteing in the water due to the rescue facilities there. As i'm sure most of you know, sotavento is reknowned for having thermonuclear winds blowing off-shore & unsurprisingly this week was no exception (it's also about an hour away from where we were based, which seems a bit of a long way to go every day). We had to call it a day after about 30 mins (i had 1 x 15 min go) as it was too windy. On the 2nd day the jeep packed up en-route resulting in a considerable delay. When we finally made it to the water the leash to the board snapped on my mates 1st run, resulting in the longest body drag in the world. On my 1st run the leash to the kite snapped, resulting in a bl00dy long upwind swim, £30 cost to extreme hols for having a jet ski rescue guy go and retrieve the kite, and a pile of knotted lines from your very worst nightmares.

Halfway through the trip there was a non-windy morning so we were taken surfing - it was great fun and filled in the gap well. Also, on the day we had to stop due to too much wind, the guys from extreme took us for an expenses paid go-kart fest, which was wickedly good - I can't really fault them for trying to fill in the time well.

Despite the fact that there were problems with the kiting lessons and kit, (I did learn a bit but not as much as hoped) I had great fun doing it. The guys doing the lessons were great and certainly did their best, within obvious constraints. They were always on time, were prepared for all eventualities (fortunately this included jeep breakdown, which saved quite a bit of time) and were generally good fun and provided a high level of very thorough instruction. I met quite a few like minded people and we all got on great - it's a great way to meet lots of people with a common interest very quickly - particularly good if you are going on a solo mission. I think the kit problems were just unlucky - on the whole the kit was excellent and almost brand new, so i'm not sure what went wrong.

All in all - I'd recommend this trip to complete beginners / those who have had 'a bit of a go' / those going on solo missions, and / or those who want to learn in a slow but very safe environment. However, if you want to get more time in on the water and don't mind upping the risks a bit, you're probably best doing it off yer own back and hiring a car (if you have all the kit, that is).

http://www.extremeholidays.com/

Don't have a cow man!

markh
Hot shot

Member #: 42
Posts 56

Mood:

posted on 17-3-2004 at 10:36 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the post Shawn. My brother-in-law has been talking to me about finding a kite-surfing hol so this might be just the ticket.

Was there an option to do some windsurfing with Extreme as well? I wouldn't want to spend a whole week there without getting a few hours of WS in as well.

cheers

Mark

shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 17-3-2004 at 12:35 Reply With Quote
Hiya Mark

If you let them know beforehand that you'd like to do both then I'm certain they'd accomodate you. I didn't manage to get any windsurfing in although I did ask - I gave them about 2 minutes warning and they didn't have the kit with them, so i ended up surfing instead.

You'll definately have a great time if you do go. While you're there i highly recommend the thai curry at 'sopranos' too - you'll find it.

Don't have a cow man!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy