Author: Subject: old kit
liam
Beach Bum

Member #: 477
Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 14-3-2004 at 11:03 Reply With Quote
old kit

on the topic of the recent boards mag article about older kit.......
ive been offered a bic saxo 265 in what looks like splendid condition - i think about 1996 ish as its white - and a tush scrambler 2, 5m. its all in really good nick and he only wants 200 for it.
im tempted to offer much less if it isnt a dog of a board .... any ideas.
i weigh 85kg and can waterstart gybe ect

IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 14-3-2004 at 22:12 Reply With Quote
I had a bic saxo 253 and it was an excellent waveboard for its time though quite heavy with the construction and 3 fin boxes. As far as I remember the 265 saxo was more of a slalom shape though it was marketed as a wave/crossover board, that is, it had quite parallel rails (not conducive to the slashy, turny waveboard feel).

One of the main problems with them was the footstrap system which employed mini mast tracks for quick adjustment of the footstrap position. Whoever designed this had not heard of dissimilar metal corrosion as they used alloy nuts with stainless steel screws (that are not long enough anyway, an absolute sod to re-attach) hence they welded together after prolonged immersion in salt water! There was a quick fix kit issued by Bic with longer screws, but this did not alleviate the corrosion problems

Having said all that, I think £200 is expensive for the board. I advertised my 253 for £50 (this was a much more popular model than the 265) and ended up giving it away to a bereft ex-student as I would rather see it used than gather dust in my garage.

geordieboy
Beach Bum

Member #: 115
Posts 19

Mood: chilling @ work

posted on 16-3-2004 at 12:53 Reply With Quote
Yep i totally agree with Iain...£200 is way too much for a board design that is almost 8 years old. Admitingly the design was ahead of its time but still £200 is a bit steep.
kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 16-3-2004 at 15:18 Reply With Quote
saxo ? had a 253 myself for a while , horid little thing .eventually gave it away as nobody would buy even had a prob giving away . The sail on the other hand is a little cracker offer him £75 for the lot if your desperate .
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy