Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: gybe, why I always fall!!!
auguswinsurfer

Member #: 574
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2004 at 18:34 Reply With Quote
gybe, why I always fall!!!

What the fuck can be happening that I always fall when y try to gybe!!!???
I'm tired of reading tip & trick to gybe, everybody can gybe except me!!!!!

I always fall when I try to pass the sail to the other side!! the mast falls into the internal side of the curve, pls help !!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
robsurfer
Hot shot

Member #: 518
Posts 30

Mood:

posted on 6-3-2004 at 08:39 Reply With Quote
When you gybe you need to keep looking in the direction the board is going. If you start to look a the rig at any time then you usually fall in.
Once the rig has gone round you need to pull it across your body at the last min to stop the clew from hitting the water, then grab the boom with the other hand and sail away.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 6-3-2004 at 09:09 Reply With Quote
Easy hey!!!

The first thing is to stop worrying about it, you certainly aren't the only person who can't gybe and it usually takes years for people to learn it. I know it took me a couple of years to learn, and I get out on the water quite a bit.

The one day that you do make it though you will wonder what all the ufss was about because when you get it right it feels so easy!

Its difficult to give tips without seeing where you are going wrong, but if you get the board carving a nice steady arc, then the rig will almost take care of itself. Try to keep the board fairly flat (don't put your weight over the tail, but keep leaning forward to keep the board flat and maintain mastfoot pressure. The way I learnt was to set up for the gybe by:

1. Changing my grip so that both hand have an overhand grip on the boom and I move my backhand down the boom.
2. stepping out of the back footstrap.

Once set up I then just initiated the turn by sheeting in, bending my knees and leaning forwards and into the turn. I then just counted to 2 and let go...somehow as if by magic it all started working when I did that. I stopped thinking about the rig flip, just counted to 2 and let go, then grabbed the boom on the other side.... It might work for you, just give it a go... the worst that can happen is you'll get wet!!

Let us know how you get on.... and keep that board flat and carving, don't stall it as the rig flips.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 6-3-2004 at 12:30 Reply With Quote
My tip for what its worth,
A rig flip is a rig flip, try and get out on a long board in light winds. Get yourself right up wind, then flare gybe, do the flip, as soon as you've gone round go straight into a gybe the other way and repeat over and over until it becomes really slick.
Remember in the carve gybe, when you let go with your back hand to throw the mast in front of you and look where your going not at your feet.

preacherman
Beach Bum

Member #: 560
Posts 26

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2004 at 14:34 Reply With Quote
if the rig is always falling on the inside then you may be flipping the rig a little early and it then slices to the inside because you haven't been able to get your new back hand to it. If that is the case, then there's two things you could try:

1) flip the rig a little later!
2) once you've shifted you're old front foot to the new side, really concentrate on dropping your weight onto its heel. That will make you commit to the turn in the latter stages and it may tighten the arc, which in turn may help to bring the rig round.

I do agree with dunk as well. The thing that slows a lot of people's gybes is the rig flip - if your hands know what to do because they've practiced on a long board then it leaves you time to concentrate on getting other bits of the gybe right.

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 9-3-2004 at 13:30 Reply With Quote
Its all personal so what works for me may not work for others but...

Keep rig away from your body espceialy when flipping the rig.
Also I found when learning that holding the mast with my hand (hand clostest to the mast on the new tack) when flipping the rig helped. The masts spins around in the hand easy - something less to worry about. Can form bad habits but still gets me out of hairy gybes even now.

Good luck and just go for it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy