Author: Subject: Which boots 'n gloves
Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 4-3-2004 at 20:54 Reply With Quote
Which boots 'n gloves

I'm coming to the FON meet at the end of the month and just know the water's going to be freezing. My boots are on their last legs and I'm thinking about getting some gloves as well.

Can anyone recommend a good boot - I purchased a pair of O'Neill shoes last year and although they're as comfortable as a pair of slippers they come off just as easily too.

As for gloves, should I go for half or full finger, thick or thin - again any recommendations for windsurfing use?

Cheers

Nick

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 5-3-2004 at 08:32 Reply With Quote
Gloves- as thin as possible the xtra thickness can cause cramps in your forearms, If i have to wear gloves I wear washing up gloves then only if its really cold

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Bananaman
Pro

Member #: 522
Posts 99

Mood: Re-invigorated

posted on 5-3-2004 at 11:58 Reply With Quote
I have tried many many gloves probably about 6 pairs since it got cold. The full gloves are crap, and I could only last about 15 minutes before I lost grip of the boom, let alone trying to uphaul. Washing up gloves are ok, but mine tended to be too small or too big I even tried two pairs of them, the problem with them being for me that they tended to come off to easily. Then I got some palmless gloves and these are the ones I use now, I have full grip on the boom at all times even for hours of use I get no cramps or anything. The drawback is that they are open-palmed and the water is cold but after 10 minutes of use, and goign through the ice-cream hands thingy I do not feel the cold in my hands after that at all (no they are not numb by this stage). These gloves are great because they keep the wind of of your hands and the wind is undoubtably the coldest part. Hope this is helpful. As for boots I've got some O'Niell ones and they are perfect for me. I guess you have to get the right size to stop them coming off.

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Bananaman]

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2004 at 12:00 Reply With Quote
Hello Nick, ive got some o'neill boots,the big toe is seperate from the rest but they work well & do not move at all.with prevoius boots i.e Gul,Sola always found they would twist round.The O'neill ones are only 3mm but havnt suffered cold feet yet.As for gloves tried them years ago but found them too restrictive & doubled the size of your forearms.When i used to canoe many moons ago we used to use mits which were loads better as fingers in one bit so keeps more warmth,dont know if theres anyting like that avalible now? Spring is just round the corner anyway?
See you at Fon meet?
Spence...

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2004 at 13:00 Reply With Quote
Hey Nick,

I don't think you'll need gloves at Borth.

I was out on Wednesday without gloves and I didn't get cold hands at all.

The water is still around 8C. Not like inland where its b****y freezin'.

Its a huge difference to me and a real revelation. I used to stop sailin' for a couple of months when I only sailed inland due to the cold. Now I'll only sail at the coast in the winter months!

The air temperature also seems to be higher especially if there's any south in the wind. E.g. Wednesday it was around 5C inland but 7C at the coast.

Appart from that I can't seem to sail in gloves anyway, they give me fore arm cramp really quickly.

Not sure about the best boots. I usually just get sola 5mm. But I have heard people say the split toe ones are good.

Cheers,

Andy

shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 5-3-2004 at 13:32 Reply With Quote
washing up gloves have always been my choice, tucked under yer wetsuit - if needs be with duck tape round the ends to keep the water out - this usually leaves bald patches on yer arms when you pull it off. Fortunately, since getting a decent dry/steamer I've not needed the tape.

Don't have a cow man!

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 5-3-2004 at 14:26 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice everyone.....think I'll skip the gloves and get a better pair of boots.

See you all at the end of the month!

cheers

Nick

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 5-3-2004 at 18:18 Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good idea to me Nick.... I don't very often use gloves either...although I do have a pair of palmless gloves for those really cold days in the estuary!!

And boots are boots to me...as long as the fit and don't have too thick a sole then I'm happy.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy