Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 27-2-2004 at 13:35 Reply With Quote
5m sail choice?

Looking for a nice new 5m wave sail

Questions / issues

1. Do you think i will notice a difference between a 2003-4 sail and my old ART Rip from a few years back?

q2. What do people rate between
North Superstar
Arrows Impact
Tushy storm / Rock

Want something that is gonna have a real good top end and not too pully.

Although i like the look of the Gaastra Manic i dont wanna go down the RDM route right now (£££). Sorry but dont like the look or the £££ of NPs.

Ste

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 27-2-2004 at 16:59 Reply With Quote
I know I always say this, but take a look at the Gun Sails, the new Hammer should just about fit the bill and the 5m one is £252 brand new. The Wave MC is also a lovely sail (5m is £233).

I had a 5m Wave MC last year and it was really nice, but it got lost at sea and has now been replaced with an equally nice Gun Impact Wave which was the precursor to the Hammer.

Take a look at the gun website http://www.gunsails.co.uk and click on the 'nice price' image in the header (if its still there)... thats where they 'hide' all the bargains, and some of them can be really good.

You probably won't notice too much differnce between a 2003/04 sail and one from 2001 onwards, but new sails just feel so much nicer anyway. After a season of sailing the tend to have strecthed and warped a little and also start becoming brittle and less responsive... There you go, is that a good enough excuse to persuade yourself that you need some new toys!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 28-2-2004 at 18:17 Reply With Quote
why do you need an rdm for the gastra , i,m currenty got three manics and they work fine on ordinary masts.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
johno
Beach Bum

Member #: 507
Posts 18

Mood:

posted on 28-2-2004 at 19:50 Reply With Quote
i have just bought myself a 03 impact 5.3 at a good price from reactive watersports they were very helpfull while i was researching sails 2xs had a03 superstar 5m brand new at 35% off at £228 iwould say that was a bargin or a 5m instinct ex demo like new for the same price if you ask for chris he can advise more on how the sails preform
from what i understand the superstar is awsome in proper waves and feels light and neutral in the hands with a solid biuld quality and the instinct better allround quality but more pully and the impact its good enough for goya then its good enough for me

IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 29-2-2004 at 23:17 Reply With Quote
I know you have said that you don't like Neil Pryde but if you're looking for top end you can't go far wrong with the Search. If you go for a 2002/2003 model it's not going to be too expensive and its OK with standard diameter masts. I've used NP sails for years, and apart from the 2000 NRs, they've been excellent sails.

Happy hunting

ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2004 at 16:38 Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback - will keep looking.

Kelvin - what year Manics do you have and what make of Masts do you use? I thought they had got increasingly RDM dependent...

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 1-3-2004 at 22:57 Reply With Quote
they are o2 models sizes4.5/5.3/6.1 . THE 4.5 goes on a standard 400 tushy 40% mast . Tje5.3/6.1 on a standard tushy70% 430.
have no problems with them matter of fact was so impressed with first one that I went out and got further 2.
mate who has tried them liked them and bought some himself although 03 models , he also uses standard masts .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 2-3-2004 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
Well, going on reviews, I was soon going to order 5 and 5.7 Tush rock or storm (cant really work out the differance - and neither can the mags!) However, no one here seems to rate them? Any reason behind this or simply that nobody here owns them?

Al - is it just me or are Gun sails pushing there prices up a little these days? Might even start tempting people to include them in tests if the cost as much as NP!

Ste - what other sails have you got? The style and sizes of those around your new one can make the choice a little easier.

Wes

robsurfer
Hot shot

Member #: 518
Posts 30

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2004 at 14:25 Reply With Quote
The Tushingham sails do not seem as powerful as some of the other brands.
I have use Tushingham and also North sail and the North sail seem to be more Powerful.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 2-3-2004 at 17:11 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wes
Al - is it just me or are Gun sails pushing there prices up a little these days? Might even start tempting people to include them in tests if the cost as much as NP!

Wes

Yeah, they have gone up a little, but they are still cheaper than the rest of the sails out there and perform just as well, so that suits me!!

A few were included in some tests last year, but you're right, not many of them... I think it all goes back to the days when many of the shops threatened to stop advertising in the mags if they advertised / tested Gun products, as the shops didn't like the fact that Gun sell direct to the customers and can therefore considerably undercut the shops.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 2-3-2004 at 23:28 Reply With Quote
owned a 6m tushy storm for a whille but traded it in as it was gutless on the bottom end , although the other side of the laddr was great it had tremendous top end ,but this usuall ment i was still on 6m felling ok but locals all out on grunty 5.3m sails and as we all know SIZE is everthing .

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy