Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 12-2-2004 at 12:37 Reply With Quote
Choosing a first board

1) I can't surf.
2) I can't very often get to a surf venue
3) Its probably a complete waste of money

So - I was looking to buy a surfboard in the near future!
Any advice on sizes to get for a first board I weigh in at 80kg (if thats at all relavant) - I would prefere to struggle at first and have something to keep hold of rather than get the surfing equivalent of a Starboard Start. Hunting around I saw the bic boards at about £250. Any good? Should I be looking second hand?
Help..............

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 12-2-2004 at 12:57 Reply With Quote
Hi wes,

I won't claim to know lots about surf boards as I don't but i'm considering buying one soon as well, (i'm still enjoying the boogie boarding too much)

Anyway the surfers that I spoken to about this have all said... don't buy a bic, buy a second hand custom minimal. You'll get a better board for around the same price.

If anyone knows any different please correct me as i'm "in the dark" as well!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-2-2004 at 19:44 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Bics are OK but they aren't 'performance' boards. They'll get you up and going easily enough and will last a lifetime as they are much more durable than a custom, but they don't actually surf that well once you can do it.

Look for a 7'6" minimal or something around that size I should imagine.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

SinistaPenguin
Pro

Member #: 359
Posts 122

Mood: Getting less surf than my avat

posted on 2-3-2004 at 14:47 Reply With Quote
There's only one problem with trying to get a second hand mini-mal...

...they are kind of like the proverbial 'rocking horse ****'. The problem is that people who have them tend to hang on to them, so getting one that's in good condition for a reasonable price can be difficult, especially as you head into the 'tourist' season.

That said, it is definitely the right kind of board to go for. I bought a brand new one (7'5) from Fistral Surf Co for £299 - it's not what you'd call a well known brand (escape), but then it looks nice, it's the perfect shape for me and anyway it's how much fun you have that really counts.

I would definitely look around. I did find a second hand one for my brother in law last year for £260 and it's immaculate (it took a week of searching every shop in Newquay every day and it only appeared that morning!)

Seek and ye shall find. The most important thing is that you hang in and get one that has:

a) no obvious cracks in the glass
b) no 'yellow' foam - this means there is a leak in the glass and the foam is rotting
c) I would check the tail and around the fins for bad repairs (repairs are OK as long as they are done well!)

Hope this lot helps

Sinista

"...that's just the lemon next to the pie..."

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 6-3-2004 at 08:15 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SinistaPenguin
There's only one problem with trying to get a second hand mini-mal...

...they are kind of like the proverbial 'rocking horse ****'. The problem is that people who have them tend to hang on to them, so getting one that's in good condition for a reasonable price can be difficult, especially as you head into the 'tourist' season.

Take a look in the classifieds on this site... The latest two ads are for 7'6" minimals!!

The first is
quote:

7'6" x 21 3/4 minimal, shaped by Rogo, 3 fins + second skin board bag + Bulldog Leash + bulldog soft roof rack/straps. Hardly used, no dings or repairs. First to see will buy £200 o.n.o

The next is
quote:

NSP 7'6" Egg minimal V.tough epoxy construction . Bought new last summer VGC. with leash. Great addition to a quiver that'll last for years..£185

Could be a bargain for you there Wes, let us know if you get one.. There are quite a few other minimals on there as well, but I don't know if they are still for sale.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Gibi

Member #: 519
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 6-3-2004 at 11:22 Reply With Quote
bics

IMHO bics are good beginners boards for someone who will not get into the water that much, if you are not surfing at least once a week then a bic will do fine. Another bonus is that they are really easy to get rid of second hand - they are always in demand and they are virtually indestructible so they hold their resell value.
Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 8-3-2004 at 12:04 Reply With Quote
Alas moving house has about cleaned the old bank account out. Now I need a couple of paydays before I can buy

Cheers for all the advice though guys.

Wes

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy