Author: Subject: Frontside riding help
Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 2-2-2004 at 08:43 Reply With Quote
Frontside riding help

OK - I know its all about practice but I just cant seem to get this frontside riding thing. I always seem to stall the board, have no fluid, style or anything. I seem to shoot out in front of the wave and cant stay on it. Am I trying it on to smaller/slow waves or am I missing something - any advise appreciated.

I think the problem with me is definitely not staying on the wave. I usually start wave riding by sailing more upwind which doesn't help, but as soon as I bear off the board shoots out in front of the wave - ahhhh!

I then turn and the board stalls just past downwind (especially yesterday when the wind was marginal). Do you need dead sideshore conditions?

Any experieces helpful even if its something you've read (I did read the Windsurf mag)

Sorry to bore people but its something I really would like to crack.

cheers

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 2-2-2004 at 17:25 Reply With Quote
You're right Shaka.... its not easy and it all all down to practise, although getting the right conditions is just as important. what you really need are cross offshore winds, which are pretty few and far between. And even when we do get them they tend to be gusty, so there isn't a great lot of hope!!!

If the wind is too corss-shore then as you've pointed out you tend to outrun the wave too easily, in order to get on it you have to really bear away as if going for a gybe on the bottom turn, and as you head back up the wave you'll end up pointing upwind, at which point you stall and the wave gets the better of you.. I can't do it in cross-shore conditions, but the few times we have had cross-offshore conditions I found it really easy as you just have to sail a little off the wind and then just footsteer and use the rig for leverage as you send plumes of spray off the lip!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

gm

Member #: 481
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 24-3-2004 at 16:44 Reply With Quote
Just reading back through the forum on a dull wednesday pm. Thought i'd offer my advice on front side riding, Shaka!! Sorry its too late for your windy weekend (21st March).

The problem is that as stated you are bottom turning too far in front of the wave and then stalling or back winding when you head back up the face. Your board speed will be opposed by the wave and you end up left behind. The key is to maintain board speed all the time. When you are starting in waves dont look for full bore bottom turns (a la Craig Masonville for history buffs) and vertical top turns. just try and weave your way on a straight downwind run along the wave. it should feel a bit like a stright down wind leg on a longer board on a light day. move your hand back on the boom and push the clew out like a flare gybe and see if you can use the wave to power you along.

To get in the down wind direction for the above, dont do a big old gybe around the face. This problem is worsened if you are heading upwind on the wave before you start. So sail directly towards the beach and then you only have to turn 90 degrees not 180. Try and scissor the board round on its tail a bit through this 90 degrees without even leaving the wave face. Use front hand pressure on the boom to push the nose round. You wont be at max speed just matching wave speed which is fine. Then head straight downwind and use the sail to steer. If you are losing speed then drop down the wave face and before you know it you will be making a few little turns.

Its definately harder with very little wind, so make sure you choose a sail to get you powered up. You may need half a metre extra as you are going downwind. Not too much though, cos then its suicidal off the top of the wave!! With power in the sail you can afford to open out your turn into a more curved affair and still have speed and wind to come back off the top. With plenty of wind even a one foot wave is good for turns and spray etc.

Next tip is a common mistake. DONT take your foot out of the back strap. In fact loosen the strap slightly to get your foot more over the centre line. its the single most important thing to be able to control the tail and get your weight off the heel edge when you are making your bottom turns. That and shifting your hand back on the boom.

The next technique is good for windier days, cross-onshore days and when you start wanting a bit more speed on the wave but are not yet able to crank your initial "gybe" tight enough to stay with it. Sail towards the beach on a fast broad reach. Pick your wave from behind and sail to catch up with it. time this so that you are just catching it as it steepens up a bit. Then start your turn behind the wave so that you drop into the wave 'mid-gybe'. You will have full speed and be pointing almost down the line. Then just open out the clew to stop the turn and head off down the line.

Final tip: read the wave. you have to use the steep bits to generate board speed for the next set of turns. This means looking through your window and looking ahead. If your window is opaque get a new sail! You are basically surfing not windsurfing and you will never succeed if you dont fit in with the what the wave is doing.

Hope that helps anyone. give it a go next time its at all cross shore.

[Edited on 24-3-2004 by gm]

Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 25-3-2004 at 08:25 Reply With Quote
GM/Justal - top stuff. I was having ago again on Sunday. What youve said will def help next time im out. I like the dropping in from behind the wave 'mid gybe'.

I was having the same old problems on sunday where I just seemed to be going to fast for the wave when initiating the first turn - when you say scissor action what do you mean? Are you saying something like a tight turn/chicken gybe on the wave face?

I will get this and all your help has been appreciated.

Iv'e sailed at Ferring Gap a few times but may have to start putting in an apperence at Lancing as it seems more side shore in SW's.

Cheers again - looks like this w/e is a no go - fingers crossed that we get a good bank holiday.

gm

Member #: 481
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 25-3-2004 at 08:58 Reply With Quote
scissor - i mean just turning it on the tail of the board. lean back a bitlet the clew out and use front hand down mast pressure. and then force it round with your feet. your back foot sort of crosses behind your front foot in a 'scissor' action!! its not a carve at all more of a swivel.
Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 21-5-2004 at 06:42 Reply With Quote
Shaka,

I was having similar probs as yourself on the front side, it turned out that my problem was my kit! I was trying on an old Fanatic Bee 260 which for all other aspects of wave sailing was great - (it was my first 'wave' board and didn't want to spend a load a dosh whilst I was getting experience in the waves) - I tried a mates Goya 80 and after a couple of hours sailing cracked the front side riding. This is a major reason why I copied the Goya when made my own board.

What board have you got...?

Hans.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy