Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Which board?
Sweep

Member #: 515
Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2004 at 08:48 Reply With Quote
Which board?

I've been hiring equipment since I started windsurfing last summer and have decided to buy my own this year, so would like some advice. I'm 80kg and windsurf inland about once a month. I want to get a complete set of kit. The sails aren't too bad as I think if I get a general all-round freeride type sail then it will do for everything, but I'm not sure what board to go for. Theres just so much choice.

I'm not particularly good yet, but can sail along, tack and come back again, usually (but not always) staying dry. What should I be looking for, and does anyone have any recommendations or ones to avoid?

TIA

S.

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 23-1-2004 at 10:02 Reply With Quote
Sweep,

What kind of board/Sail combination have you been hiring?

Based on what you have been using already then something a little more ambitious may be suitable.

To sail inland you may aim for a big board/sail combination once you've mastered the basics but I would suggest something suited to allround freeride that is not too difficult to sail.

Andy

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-1-2004 at 11:15 Reply With Quote
Hi Sweep... welcome to both Forces-of-Nature and the joys of windsurfing.

Its been a while since I was sailing big floaty boards, so i can't give any recommendations, but as Andy has said go for something a little ambitious so that it will have more lasting appeal. I'm not sure what you've been sailing, but I'd say look towards something in the 150-160 litre range without a daggerboard. It will still have plenty of float to keep you going in the early stages that you are at, but will still be a very usable board in lighter winds once you've progressed a bit.

As I say, I haven't used any modern big boards, but some to look at are:
F2 powerglide
Fanatic E-Ray or Fanatic X-Ray
Mistral E-motion
Bic Techno 283
Starboard Carve (one of the bigger ones of course).

Look for 2nd hand stuff as well, and if you find anything we'll let you know if its any god.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Sweep

Member #: 515
Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 24-1-2004 at 09:14 Reply With Quote
Thakns guys. I've been hiring a hifly magnum up until now, but feel as though its just a bit too big and bulky and really want to move on from that.

I'll take a look through your suggestion justal and look for some good quality second hand stuff (are there any particualr places I should look?)

Also, what do people think of the combined board and rig packages? are they any good or do they just package up a board with sub-standard components??

S.

griptool
Pro

Wipeout of the Year Award 2004

Member #: 239
Posts 80

Mood: Gripped

posted on 25-1-2004 at 22:06 Reply With Quote
I started on a starboard go 170 (2002) with a 7.8 tushingham twin cam sail, a set up like that would be ideal for inland lakes, plenty of volume and stability which will build your confidance quickly, the cam induced sail keeps a good profile which will help you in the dirty inland wind. The Go is a free formula board with a comfy eva deck ideal for climbing on and falling off!! and with a 50cm fin it will plane in 10 knots and with plenty of downhaul will cope with 16-18 Knots

The other manufactures have also made similar boards bic nova fanatic viper

Check out the Boards http://www.boards.co.uk/ for private ads and also the blue chip site http://www.windsurfer.co.uk/menuusedgear.htm

Dont buy a board with a daggerboard - get on the plane

Have fun

Bananaman
Pro

Member #: 522
Posts 99

Mood: Re-invigorated

posted on 27-1-2004 at 11:11 Reply With Quote
Hey, I moved from training board with daggerboard onto a Bic Techno 283 last summer and whoopey now I'm having a great time, I can even tack it now without falling off (jybing is another story). I find it a good board, I struggled with it at first there was no way I could even stand on it but now its easy peasy. I would definitely reccomend one. Got mine from Boardwise as part of a complete package for £500. WOOHOO.
Dallas
Beach Bum

Member #: 213
Posts 24

Mood:

posted on 27-1-2004 at 16:35 Reply With Quote
Which board?

Hi Sweep,

Re your question on rig / sail packages I think the best advice is to be careful. There are many packages that include decent sails, masts, booms etc which will last you for ages....there are some that don't! I got completely ripped off as I didn't know what to look for, and found that although the board was a great buy, I wanted to change the sail, mast & boom as soon as I progressed a bit. Shop around and check with the guys here before you buy.

Good luck & happy shopping

vdubs
Grommet

Member #: 806
Posts 11

Mood:

posted on 4-6-2004 at 12:37 Reply With Quote
Hi Sweep, been in a simular situation as you recently. Get yourself the current Boards and Windsurf mags they have reports on larger boards at the mo.

I am 78Kg and have just got a 2003 JP Freeride 144ES. 144L of volume but definatly feels like a lot more and loads of stability cause of the width. This is matched with a NP 6.4Jet and 7.5Supernova and they perform great.
Most of my sailing is inland and I try to go at least once a week.
My preferred choice would have been the Xcite which is more begginer/intermediate friendly than the freeride.
These boards are Epoxy sanwich boards which are nice and light early low wind planers but will also get easily damaged due to boom and mast impacts.
Fanatics E Ray board might be a good choice, again light (10Kg) but with a tough skin to help with the dings. again this is in this months windsurfing mags

Hope this helps, just ask if you need more details

Keith

www.vdubs.freeuk.com

vdubs@freeuk.com

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 4-6-2004 at 21:09 Reply With Quote
I'd have to say the the techno 283 will be a bit of a challege at first but will be a lot cheaper than a full expoy sandwich board and more ding resistant too.
I sailed a 145 powerglide in dahab and it was horrible compared with my techno.

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 5-6-2004 at 03:24 Reply With Quote
Sweep,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying getting in to windsurfing and have made it through the love it / hate it stage of Level 1 and hiring kit and are looking to commit yourself - and buying some of your own kit....

Whilst I agree with most of the comments posted in reply to your enquiry - I do not think that you should be looking at anything like a JP Xcite or a small E-Ray at this stage!!! And as for a cammed 7.something rig...... ehh? THIS GUY'S JUST LEARNING...!!!!

I would only recommend going for something without a dagger board if you can already sail the equipment you have been using and managing to stay up wind without using the daggerboard. I think a few people have forgotten how hard this can be when you are first learning and it is an unfortunatepart of the process of learning windsurfing - BUT IT IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO MASTER BEFORE BUYING A BOARD WITHOUT A DAGGER BOARD!

I speak from bitter experience! When I started out i had a Pacific 320 something with daggerboard getting on ok and was looking for a bit better board amd a 'mate' sold me a board that was too advanced for my level and I hated the sport until I got a board that more suited where I was at the time.... Mistral Malibu S - 310. You need to really think about this!

If you are feeling confident then try out some of the boards suggested - Al had some good suggestions as long as you are looking at the 160 E-Ray / Powerglide. We have some second hand ones of these at the shop (Boardwise) that you can demo from us for a week or so... try before you buy type thing. Alternatively you could come along to our Thursday afternoon / evening demos at Chasewater which is a lake just 10mins from the shop in Cannock.

Remember - selecting a board is a personal thing and only you can really decide what is the best option for you and the forcomming season - don't be miss guided into buying something that you'll get pissed off with because it's too advanced like I did!

So, basically try out some boards - have a good think about it and then....... think a bit more....... and buy it!

Hope this has been some help,

Hans.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy