Author: Subject: help with geting new sail
tom
Beach Bum

Member #: 196
Posts 27

Mood:

posted on 19-1-2004 at 12:32 Reply With Quote
help with geting new sail

im wanting to get a new sail. i have a 6.4 arrows trixx and an arrows areal 5.3. im wanting to get a sail about 5.7. i manly do flat water, freestyle and only the ocational wave i was thinking of getting a pride expresion do you think this would be ok having diferent makes or should i stick with arrows.
thanks for the help
so many choices when getting new gear

adrian_janssen
Grommet

Member #: 499
Posts 10

Mood: Lookin' up (goin to CT soon!)

posted on 19-1-2004 at 14:07 Reply With Quote
I have 6 sails ranging from 4.2 to 8.0 and they are all from different manufacturers: simmer, sailworks, north, naish, neil pryde and tushingham. Oh and also have an older arrows that I use sometimes. It don't bother me none.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 19-1-2004 at 19:53 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think all manufacturers are pretty accurate with their measurements these days, so it shouldn't hurt to have a quiver comprised of a variety of manufacturers.

However, you do need to watch out for the difference in power between the different types of sail. For example, if your 5.3m sail was a race sail and your 5.7m a wave sail then the power in them could be fairly similar. Even with general purpose free-sailing sails then you'll end up with a little overlap between the 5.3 and 5.7 and between the 5.7 and 6.4. You'll easily be able to flatten off the 6.4m and hang onto it when really you should be on the 5.7m

The same will apply with the 5.7 and 5.3m... Although it's nice to have closely spaced sails in amongst the 5m-6.5m range, think first if your time on the water would be increased if you extended your range by getting a smaller or bigger sail instead. Maybe not with the sailing you do, but there will be days when its just too windy for a 5.3m!!! Of course, it also depends on which board(s) you have as well.

My quiver is : 3.4m, 4.5m, 5.0m, 5.7m, 6.3m, which covers me for most conditions here... Although I could do with a 4m as well.

Let us know what you decide.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy