Author: Subject: Lanzarote
Bullet Boy
Grommet

Member #: 383
Posts 12

Mood:

posted on 13-1-2004 at 15:47 Reply With Quote
Lanzarote

This has probably been asked before, but...
Has anyone any experience of surfing in Lanzarote? I've read my Stormrider and it looks like the spot to be in in the Northwest of the Island in or around La Santa or Playa de Famara. I'm trying to organise a trip for four of us in March. If anyone's been before and has any advice about good spots, accommodation, what to wear, whatever, I'd appreciate it

lomo

Member #: 527
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2004 at 10:53 Reply With Quote
lanza surf

hey! loads of spots in lanzarote! your best bet is to first head for the village of la santa, once there just as the village ends you will have a view of four breake (all very fast reef breaks Lefts/rights and a bottom that would shit up a turtle!) however the problem with this area is the locals, very scary and somtimes hostile so take care. from here head north past 'club la santa' and follow the coast via soo and down to caleta de famara, again around the village is more reefs but then a huge beach opens up streching 4 km will variouse breaks alon it spots in the very north of the island are less crowded, take it easy and wear a helmet! crowded
S-J
Grommet

Member #: 784
Posts 6

Mood: Wanna go out to play!!!

posted on 24-7-2004 at 20:43 Reply With Quote
I've been to La Santa every year for the last 6 years [except for this year ] and they do surf days, a couple of which I have been on.

They always take you where lomo said. Go North of la Santa and follow the coast round. There are plenty of good places there. When we've been, usually late Feb/early March I've never seen it too busy though. The sea was pretty mucky though and they aren't too worried about their dogs taking a massive crap on the beach right by the water line whilst you are getting geared up. It wasn't overly warm either but the waves were great.

The surf school at Croyde [I'm sure a google search will find it] take people out there on week long courses, so maybe if you contacted them they'd be able to give you some information on locations/accommodation etc?

Kate - New Oxygen
Grommet

Member #: 2400
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 13-9-2006 at 11:38 Reply With Quote
Lanza Surf

hi - famara is great - if you're staying there bring a stack of books, though as it's pretty remote and quiet. i went earlier in the year (may) and conditions were pretty perfect. enjoy!
bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 13-9-2006 at 12:53 Reply With Quote
Yeah, great area, the right at La Santa is mellower than some of the others waves - though you wouldn't describe it as a mellow wave! , the left in the middle of the bay is very fast and heavy .
Lots of spots further round to Famara, San Juan as I remember it was good.
Famara, wasn't a brilliant wave when I went, I paddled out to the outer reef one day at the left end of Famara beach, huge paddle though!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy