Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
Author: Subject: Club Wanted
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 26-5-2005 at 06:34 Reply With Quote
Im fully seeing Wills point with the land and water dispute, at the same time, I think all kiters need to stick together, because if they start banning one aspect, Im sure the others wont be far behind. Ive allready had e mail from buggyers, asking me to ban buggy jumpers from Certain beaches!! Its because of the different dangers in land kiting, that there are seperate land kiting areas in Aberdyfi now.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

MarkyP
Pro

Member #: 1281
Posts 90

Mood: ?.... ?......indecisive

posted on 26-5-2005 at 11:58 Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Shem. If Land based kitestuff is banned, it's unlikely that kitesurfing will be left to continue unhindered.

We should be embracing the other sports and using our experience to make them as safe as possible, not putting them out on a limb to get bad publicity for all.

We know they are vey different sports with different risks, but Joe public and council board member just see big dangerous kites.

Some way of making sure everyone has 3rd party insurance would show a little responsibilty on the riders behalf. Tough to enforce though?!?

One thing is for sure, the problem will only get worse as the sport grows in the next few years.

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 26-5-2005 at 16:45 Reply With Quote
exactly, so why have a club to encourage growth???!!!
maybe it should discourage it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 26-5-2005 at 16:47 Reply With Quote
i know, we should help new comers to learn safely using Shem and Paul and basic common sense.

a club will make us all feel like we belong together-like the surfers on Maui, so we'll pinch outsiders pumps so they can't ride!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 26-5-2005 at 19:43 Reply With Quote
I'd be happy to help out with fon costs etc.... and it would be excellent when borth gets broadband to have an online wind reading, i'm sure lots of us would be willing to contribute to that. i've just set up an online weather station at our school, excellent though a little far from the coast!!
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 26-5-2005 at 20:38 Reply With Quote
We have got Broadband now... my wireless connecting doesn't quite reach to the beach though!

It is still pretty expensive (c.£1000) to set up a decent weather station though.... Unless you know a better cheaper solution Tim?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 26-5-2005 at 20:58 Reply With Quote
Al, true the one at our school did cost nearly a grand, but that's an all singing all dancing affair. One that just does wind speed and direction, i'm sure would be a lot cheaper.
Leave it with me and I'll have a good look into it- when I return from next week's adventure of course!

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 26-5-2005 at 21:28 Reply With Quote
Its hard not to encourage growth when shops such as Harrods and Argos all now sell kites, without a care of safety or experienced shop staff to advise on kite size. Whether we like it or not kiting is becoming main stream, and unless we regulate it, places are going to get bans.

The other alternative is to use quiet beaches away from public areas, not just beaches that are accesible by camper vans for people that are to lazy to make a 5 minuite walk accross some sand dunes.( Direct slag at the borth massive, HE-HE)!! Lets face it, theres miles and miles of unused beaches around Wales, that dont even have dog walkers on them, so why use beaches that other people use??????

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 26-5-2005 at 21:55 Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Will, I wouldn´t really want to be part of a club with the land based crew. Some of them show no respect to kitesurfers, ie running over there lines , let alone any respect for the public! And a lot of the bans I here of are due to land boarders! Why can´t they just learn to swim and get on da water!
Later dudes

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 27-5-2005 at 05:34 Reply With Quote
Some one in aberdyfi just got a weather station for about £150, Ill check which type and where, from them.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 27-5-2005 at 05:56 Reply With Quote
As far as a club goes, personally I see no need for one, If I need or want to tell people some thing, I can just get on here and have a rant, as far as beach safety, and signs, thats a case of getting in touch with the council and trying to sort it out. As Al said, people have tried the whole club thing all ready, and theyve never worked, ( West wales and dyfi kite sports for example, whos even heard of it)?

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 27-5-2005 at 06:05 Reply With Quote
I know three people who have heard of it... Me, You and Craig!!!

As far as the weather stations go, you need a fairly decent one to be able to attach it to the computer a computer and upload the data to a server. As far as measurements go, it is also useful to have one that measures not just wind speed and direction, but also keeps track of average wind speed over a given time and maximum gust just so that you could get a better idea of what the win is doing... Any that record that also record barometric presure, rainfall, temperature etc etc... Last time I looked they were around £500 and then another £500 for the software to connect it all to a web-server. The prices may have dropped a bit since then I guess.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 28-5-2005 at 09:49 Reply With Quote
it might be in our favour to liase with peeps on buggys and landboards etc.remember black rock sands used to be oneof our favourit site; then the buggys got banned in season but they left the kitesurfers alone.result was the buggy peeps got annoyed that we were allowed on the beach so stuck thier oar in to complain and so they banned the lot!!
we dont want that to happen and not all buggy peeps disregard safety; myself and a few others started off learning our kiting skills in buggys.
talking to each other is better than taking sides and creating conflict which could end up in tears for us all!!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 28-5-2005 at 21:46 Reply With Quote
bo*^ocks to a club for now lets just keep borth and dovey quiet for now and just talk to new people who turn up, launch by the hut (borth side) and bollock any one who acts a prat close to shore or the public

To Infirmary and beyond..

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 28-5-2005 at 22:19 Reply With Quote
Bang on Col, if you,ve got a problem with some one, tell them.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 30-5-2005 at 17:13 Reply With Quote
and i did this weekend some tw$t was flying with no leash and let his kite go in more than 30knt winds bar and lines went straight threw gruop of people. i advised that he stop he told me to f off if he would stop. he had driven 1.5 hours to get there and it wasn't his fault the leash was broken.... he reckoned a 3m foil wasn't dangerous any way!!!!! Got quite angry he got very threatening and they continued as they were.

So with tossers like that about who don't listen what are we supposed to do i can't get violent or cut his lines coz i'll just end up in court so if they don't bloody listen what next.

(i may have left my mark on his Storm kite though!!!)

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 30-5-2005 at 17:14 Reply With Quote
or was that my highly trained dog!
chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 30-5-2005 at 19:28 Reply With Quote

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 30-5-2005 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
not that interested in a club for kiters. as i said a while ago. people who kite onthe beach are a guilty as people who surf in the swimming area or bike on footpaths. they see mto have no idea most people come down to the beach to relax and unwind. to allow kids to play with no traffic or bikes.

all i can say at the mo is i hope the wind is at least 20 knots allsummer to keep them offthe beach and me on the water.

failing that, forget the weather staition. lets all chip in to buy a tractor and a plough. problem solved.

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 928
Posts 224

Mood: new toys

posted on 30-5-2005 at 19:40 Reply With Quote
club

well said will, also wittnessed idiots on sat, question is if you are a beginner how do you get to know about the locals, local rules or this site, i've never seen those guys before.
reckon we should of cut their LINES

no respect DUDES.

<<  1    2    3  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy