Author: Subject: August BH weekend
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-8-2003 at 06:17 Reply With Quote
August BH weekend

Some strange things are going on in the world of the forecasters for this weekend and no-one seems to be able to agree.

Basically once the low pressure system thats generated yesterday and todays winds moves away, we're going to be dominated by high pressure again and some warmer temperatures. The forecasts of bright sunny weather have been replaced with cloudy weather though. The high pressure should produce some Easterly winds, which as you all should know by now, can be a lot stronger in the estuary here at Ynyslas than you would expect.

Weather Online are also forecasting these Easterlies to reach Force 5-6 with gusts of 40 mph on Sunday evening!! Don't quite know why myself looking at the charts, but who knows, they could be correct!

It doesn't look like a complete wash-out windwise for the weekend then. With high tides at around 6-7ish, the estuary will be sailable on the high tide both in the morning and the evening, and the tides are only small anyway, so will probably be sailable to some extent almost all day. If the easterlies do their thing, and the sun does come out (especially first thing in the morning), then we could get some better winds than you might think.

If not, then it should be OK for kite-surfing at least... If we can avoid all the tourists!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 26-8-2003 at 06:24 Reply With Quote
Well, it ended up being a good weekend. Did everyone else have a good time??

Friday evening saw me have a frustrating weed-infested windsurf session in WSW winds.

Saturday wasn't that good. No wind and no waves, so didn't really get up to much. Just some work, a trip to MacDonalds and walking on the beach.

Sunday was busy. The beach was packed with tourists and I managed a kite-surf session in the morning, followed by a trip to town to choose kitchen tiles!! Then a windsurf in the afternoon. It was getting really windy so I phoned Steve and he rushed here for an evening session, but the wind had a dropped a little by then so I went for another kite-surf session, whilst Steve bobbed about trying to get planing.

Monday was good too, not quite so many tourists, but an OK windsurf session in the morning with Steve, Stevbus and Ian, followed by a kitesurf session as the wind dropped. I went for my first ever kite-surf jump as well, and made it... Fairly high according to some reports and with a nice clean landing. I think it was beginners luck as subsequent attempts have seen slightly less slick landings! We then had a nice big breakfast in the Limit Cafe, before I spent a couple of hours strimming the 'lawn' (It was gnarly, the grass was chest high, man!!!!). Martin then turned up and we went for a really good (best of the weekend) kite-surf session in the evening.

All in all a good weekend. There were a few other kitesurfers around: Graham from the Midlands, the two guys from Shrewsbury, another guy with several Wipika kites, Colin and one or two other non-locals, along with the locals, Chris, Ben, Derek, Martin and myself.

The windsurfers were fewer in number again though: Steve, Stevebus, Ian, myself and the guy on the pink Bic board!

How was it where you were??

Al.

P.S. Weather Online weren't far off as it was blowing a hoolie all night long on Sunday.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy