Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Weston-Super-Mare - heaven or hell??
Dallas
Beach Bum

Member #: 213
Posts 24

Mood:

posted on 25-6-2003 at 13:38 Reply With Quote
Weston-Super-Mare - heaven or hell??

Bit of advice needed here really.......

I've recently moved to Clevedon, and my nearest windsurfing location is W-S-M. Only problem is that I'm not that good, and I'm a bit concerned that it might be beyond my capabilities. Just returned from a week in Vass, and I'm now sailing relatively comfortably in the harness, but not in the footstraps or waterstarting yet. There seem to be quite a few who sail at Weston, and I was wondering if anyone can let me know whether they think I'll be able to cope there. I've done most my sailing at Northney Marina, Hayling Island; Dale & Poole Harbour, so I'm used to safe, flat water locations......

Cheers
D

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 25-6-2003 at 13:53 Reply With Quote
Hi ya Dallas, Wsm is for itermediate sailers upwards i would say,if you get ur waterstarts sorted then theres no reason why you cant give it a go,but the most common wind direction is west or N.west. when it blows this direction 15knts or more it gets pretty choppy wavey & messy.35knts & logo high swells are not uncommon so no chance of uphauling really.When the winds SW or South it tends to be a lot calmer but never flat(might look it from the beach), also its the 2nd most tidal estuary in the world,ive attached 2 pics,1 in a westerly & 1 in a southerly. Get those water starts cracked &then give it ago(you didnt mention what litre board you sail).

Spencer has attached this image:

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 25-6-2003 at 13:55 Reply With Quote
2nd pic...

Spencer has attached this image:

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 25-6-2003 at 17:32 Reply With Quote
The conditions in that first photo look so similar to the typical conditions here at Borth, that if it hadn't been for the lack of bikini clad Hula-girls and palm trees I would have sworn it was Borth!!

Mind you, If I stop being delusional for a bit, W-S-M actually has a few more palm trees than Borth. They might be plastic and in the Tropicana, but thats still more than we have!!

Dallas... It sounds as though you'll be better off sticking with Poole or Portland until you have your water-starting sussed, but on days when it isn't too rough you should be OK at WSM. Theres only one way to learn how to cope on the 'open' sea and thats to get out there and do it. Once you're water-starting is up to scratch you'll be OK... You will of course get trashed in the waves for a bit to start with, but everyone does!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 25-6-2003 at 18:12 Reply With Quote
wsm

After reading your post about Vas (which sounded good) probably best to stick flat beginner freindly sea's for a while.No reason why you cant pop down there for a look on a good day you see some guys looping & doing good moves.Mark Hosegood sails there now & again,i think he was or still is uk amatuer wave champ.so worth a look...
griptool
Pro

Wipeout of the Year Award 2004

Member #: 239
Posts 80

Mood: Gripped

posted on 25-6-2003 at 22:17 Reply With Quote
I started windsurfing about a year ago and have done 90% of my sailing at Weston, the board I learnt on was a Starboard Go 170 so uphauling (even when Weston is bumpy) is feasible as long as you have a big board.

You need to be prepared to spend a lot of time falling off but in a perverse way I think it has help me improve more quickly than a flat water location as I am now comfortably waterstarting and uncomfortably jumping.

With a few self imposed rules I have found it a good place to learn
1 try to stick to winds with some onshore in them
2 sail with a buddy and neversail alone
3 if everyone is rigging 6meter or lower don’t go out of your depth
4 swallow your pride and go for it
5 don’t get down hearted when you spend 2hours in the water and 30 minutes on the board
6 learn to waterstart ASAP as a widestyle board is not the weapon of choice for weston

Sailing at a location like Weston raises your goals as you are forced to improve the standard of your sailing, and if you can sail Weston you can sail almost anywhere.

Spencer right to say that the standard of windsurfer is high, he’s not too shabby either.

[Edited on 25-6-2003 by griptool]

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 26-6-2003 at 14:15 Reply With Quote
WSM

Hey griptool,good advive... but i cant picture u on or off the water? but u must have a bit of an ideal who i am, on the water at least- Not to shabby i can live that??
mikeypies
Beach Bum

Member #: 261
Posts 22

Mood: chilled

posted on 28-6-2003 at 18:47 Reply With Quote
wsm

Its a great place to sail but and a big but you have to time it right

at your level get there early ie 3 hours before ht and with a west wind (some s/n in it no prob) drive down rig up and walk out yes its a pain but the sea ia allways flat no mater how windy I've been there in 40knots and its still flat yes there are waves but small and the water is smooth .

The water is shallow for a long way out and the bottom is mud you will have an hour or so before it gets choppy . Weston is at its best when it is at or around the bottom post ie 8 m tide at 12+ it is chop hell no matter how good you get.

When it gets to much or you are Knackered you dont have to walk too far to the car. Dont walk backwards or drag the board to the sea as you or the board will be shagged before you start. Its easy you just have to think it through and it a lot easyier than driving for hours to portland

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy