Author: Subject: Surfer's Ear
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-1-2010 at 08:11 Reply With Quote
Surfer's Ear

I had an ear infection over Christmas, so phoned the doctor to get some antibiotics but was told to go to A&E. Once there the doc took a look in my ears and confirmed that I did indeed have a pretty bad infection, but also told me that I had fairly sever Surfer's Ear too.

Has anyone else here got Surfer's Ear. Has anyone had surgery on it yet? What do you do to prevent it? You can get custom moulded ear-plugs but they aren't cheap and I've read elsewhere that a lump of Blu-Tack is just as effective.

Does anyone use any preventative measures to stop Surfer's Ear getting any worse?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 11-1-2010 at 12:45 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,
When I used to live in Newquay quite a few people down there had surfer's ear. Worst case scenario was an operation which meant 6 months out of the water, but that may have changed now, I'm going back 15 years or so. And some people refused the op cause they didn't want time out the water.
Best thing to prevent it is good ear plugs to prevent water (particularly cold water) getting in the ear. Don't use blue tac as it can break off and bits get stuck in your ear (been there done that! ) Docs proplugs are pretty good, a lot of guys swear by them, i've got a pair.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy