Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Board to learn to Gybe on...
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 11-5-2003 at 18:21 Reply With Quote
Board to learn to Gybe on...

Yup, this is another one of those "what board shall I get?" postings.

Since my mate Andy likened my Axxis to a Mark 2 Cortina, I¥ve been thinking maybe I should get something a tad more... forgiving? I cannot carve gybe for toffee.

The vital stats: I¥m bog standard 75 Kg, want something that isn¥t frightened of South Coast chop, is a year or 2 old... 100ish litres.

I¥m guessing Starboard Carve 99, Mistral Flow, Fanatic Cross 100... but then BOARDS are implying a Freestyle board may be a good idea?

Is it the Axxis¥fault I cannot gybe, or am I just crap?

Over to the jury....

Cheers, Andrew

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-5-2003 at 06:04 Reply With Quote
Hi Andrew....

Its not the board that can't carve gybe, uts you!!! However, a wider, shorter and more forgiving board will help you crack thos gybes. The tend to be less critical as far as the arc of your gybe goes, and tend to hold their speed through the turn better even without perfect technique.

their extra width also gives you more stability during the rig and foot change stage and just gives you more room to shuffle around!!

I can't comment on the other boards as I've never sailed on, but I do have a Fanatic Cross 100 and it is relatively easy to gybe. Easier than the axxis anyway.

'Freestyle' Boards???.... I guess that depends on what you actually call a freestyle board. manufacturers tend to imply that many of their boards have freestyle leanings at the moment as thats the 'trendy' thing to do. Most real freestyle boards however are quick to plane, have a loose non-directional feel and are relatively slow. You'd probably be better off with a more allround board such as those you mentioned, which still allow you to blast back and forth at speed in relative comfort. Besides, most modern all-round boards are perfectly capable of doing some freestyle in the right hands.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 12-5-2003 at 08:04 Reply With Quote
"want something that isn¥t frightened of South Coast chop, is a year or 2 old... 100ish litres. "
hey what you need is an AXIS
THEY MULE THOUGH CHOP and gybe very well but in a more powered , fast style

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 16-5-2003 at 11:23 Reply With Quote
Cheers for that guys, you just saved me a wad!

Tarifa¥s a bit full on (in all senses of the word) so am heading to SE France via La Manga now in search of flat water.

Guess I¥ll just have to keep on practicing... even more time on the water??!!!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy