Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Whats the problem with jetskiers?
downesy
Grommet

Member #: 175
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 14-3-2003 at 15:20 Reply With Quote
Whats the problem with jetskiers?

been looking at your site think its great apart from your attitude to jetskiers in the forum. so i had to have my say.

As a jetskier launching from borth regularly i cant see your problem with them in this area. i have never seen anyone disobeying the any of the restrictions such as the speed limit 200m off the beach or riding close to any surfers of windsurfers. there is not many jetskis that launch in this area and is the only place in ceredigion where jetskis are able to launch.

The council does a poor job of enforcing its sectioning of the beach and i agree that training for using jetskis should be made compulsary (which i have i must add).

Also jetskis are much safer than sportsboats and ribs, they do not have exposed propelers and are much more manurverable. a jetski can turn in its own length where a boat will go straight over top of you then chop you to bits. (not nice) you also seem to have the impression of them being dirty smelly and noisy. this is far from the truth, new models use 4 stroke and fuel injected engines which are extreemly clean having to comply with strict exhaust emmissons regulation in california. this also makes them quiet too even when not in the water.

Almost all the people using jetskis from borth are families who do little more than take the kids out for a short ride and dont forget jetskis are used by surfers for tow-ins. Also make the best rescue craft and are used to save surfers lives at all the main surfing spots around the world.

i must say i have total respect for you guys and would love to have a go at what you do. i,ve done a fair bit of wakeboarding and wondered how similar it was to kiteboarding anyone done both?

So let me know how you feel and any responces you have.

ps. i did love the article about using the sidewinder misslies though!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 14-3-2003 at 15:24 Reply With Quote
Maybe some jetskiiers are ok but the one that carved me up and took me out at Hillhead last year has kind of put me off them.
downesy
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 14-3-2003 at 15:32 Reply With Quote
so why tar everyone with the same brush?

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 14-3-2003 at 15:59 Reply With Quote

quote:

Maybe some jetskiiers are ok but the one that carved me up and took me out at Hillhead last year has kind of put me off them.

I said some maybe ok but how many other people have felt that that a jet ski has got too close to them? Maybe jet skis like to get close to things? I can think of another near miss I was fishing out near the needles a few years ago it was very foggy Ideal weather to cross the solent from poole on a jet ski! skipper had to sound the fog horn to stop the jetskis hitting us, and no we wasn't in the shipping lane. Im sure people here can add a few more tales of jetski horrors

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-3-2003 at 19:24 Reply With Quote
well, I've been run over by one in the estuary at Ynysals, and as far as them obeying the byelaws.... how about launching and landing on the sands at the estuary... they ALL do that and aren't supposed to.

I'm sure the new models are less noisy and smelly than the old ones, but they are still noisy and certainly ruin my day at the beach with their constant Nee, Neee, Neee, Nee as they buzz around the water.

I'm sure all jetskiers themselves aren't the same, but the only ones I've ever spoken to have been pretty arrogant and always seem to act as though they own the beach!!. Also, most of them haven't a clue about sailing and the wind, so just don't realise that there are only certain directions a windsurfer can go to avoid collision, whereas a Jet-Ski can go anywhere often with complete disregard for those around them.. The guys on scramblers on the beach are just as bad mind you and all of these motorised vehicles do in my opinion disrupt the peace and quiet that I like at the beach.

Its nothing personal Downesy, and as you say in their place as rescue craft or maybe even for tow-ins then they are OK. Some of the freestyle stuff some people can do on them is pretty cool too, but most people just seem to raz around as fast as they can and don't seem to have any actual skills on the Jet-Ski.

Each to there own really, but personally I think they are dirty, smelly, noisy and a nusiance!!!.... By the way, if you're on the beach with your jet-ski this year and theres no wind can I have a go!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

downesy
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 15-3-2003 at 00:01 Reply With Quote
sorry to here you have been run over by one! if this happens again a advise you to take down its number it has on the side this is more or less the same as a car registration number and i know both ceredigion and gwynedd are quite happy to ban people. As for launching from Ynysals i can not comment as i have never been into the estuary to witness this althought i do know this is not allowed.

i have to say i personally can not see the point of just blasting up and down the coast on a flat day, i much prefer to play in the surf (which does require skills). when it is flat i get my wakeboard out (not that theres much wake behind a jetski). As for jetskiers not knowing anything about sailing this is why i believe training should be compulsary, for a start the RYA course i have done states who has right of way.

As for individual riders you always get some bad apples for example i have seen windsurfers in swimming areas while people have been swimming!

As for use as rescue craft and tow-ins this can not support the industry some recreational craft must also be sold. they also have environmental benefits in comparison to standard propeler driven craft. for example in the florida keys only jet craft can be used to protect the sea life and reduce the sediment stired up.

After i have changed the mind of most anti personal watercraft person i have ever met (former harbour master at borth) who happened to be a former windsurfer i hope i can maybe start to change your minds too.

oh and you can definatly have a go on my ski as long as you let me play with one of your toys for a bit

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 15-3-2003 at 19:36 Reply With Quote
Downesy...

One member of this site (Ben) was pleased to see a jet-skier today. he sailed across the estuary to aberdovey and the wind dropped and ended up getting towed back by a jet-skier!!! I guess you're not all bad!

Al.

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Member #: 46
Posts 54

Mood: stoked

posted on 15-3-2003 at 20:55 Reply With Quote
most interesting read

every one to there own really

i have had a a near miss with a jet ski at borth, im in the water trying to get my sail up in very little wind, you know how difficult it is, when a jet ski missed me by a few feet.

the lad and his mate on the jet ski didnt see me as i heard f*** that was close i then crapped me self.

its only a matter of time before some one does get hurt at borth.

the only way i can see of stopping this happen is to ban all jet skies at borth (just kidding)

all water sports should have designated area to play in .

that way we keep out of each others way.

we all have a right to be on the sea. we are similar beasts really we both love going as fast as we can and going air born off those 6 foot faces.

all that is required is some consideration for both sports

all the best daz (with his diplomate head on) do you think i can get a job at the united nations.

tripping the white fantastic

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 15-3-2003 at 21:17 Reply With Quote
All Jet-Skiers should be shot and their jet skies blown up!!

D'you think I could get a job as the president of the US??

Al.

BTW. I got pretty close to some grinning fool in a powerboat today. I didn't give in though depsite the fact that it was 10 times the size of me!

downesy
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 20-3-2003 at 19:46 Reply With Quote

downesy
Grommet

Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 20-3-2003 at 19:56 Reply With Quote
i would agree with you that there should be designated areas for different sports. a few years ago the council had plans to open a slip next to the toilets halfway along borth for jetskis and power boats and therefore keeping them away from surfers at the lifeboat slip. but guess what it was going to cost too much so it never happened! although having seperate areas to use makes it much safer i think the different sports should communicate better with each other so they know each others opinons and complaints. i've heard that at the Severn estuary windsurfers and jetskiers have races across the estuary for charity. so if the different sports can get on there im sure they can anywhere!

oh and the windsurfers always win the race

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 20-3-2003 at 20:24 Reply With Quote
As usual, there are always some who ruin the fun for everyone else... You sound like a pretty decent guy and responsible jet-skier, so we (windsurfers) would probably have no problems with you. But there are some who are much less responsible, less knowledgable and have no respect for other water users... (Some windsurfers could be charged with these offences too I'm sure).

The main difference is that it takes relatively little skill to go fast enough on a jet-ski to become a danger to other water-users. So the real problems arise when inexperienced people jump on a jet-ski and go shooting around the beach / estuary with little control and little awareness of others around them. Its these sort of people that cause a nuisance. I'm sure its a small minorty of the jet-skiers that do such things deliberately (theres always one or two), but unfortunately the number of jet-skiers that have done any sort of formal RYA training is also probably a minority.

With windsurfing its probably the other way around. Most windsurfers will have had a least one RYA certified lesson, and its takes a considerable amount of skill to go fast enough to become a danger to anyone other than yourself.

As far as segregated areas go, then I don't think its necessary at the moment at Borth. Its not that busy there and if all windsurfers, jet-skiers and other water-users are responsible enough to keep out of each others way and respect each others right to be out on the sea then there shouldn't really be any problems.... Except of course for the noise and smell!!

It could be a different matter in the estuary at Ynyslas though. You should check it out one day in the summer as there can quite often be a number of jet-skiers and water-skiers buzzing around in the estuary. They ALL go pretty fast very close to the shore, usually trying to spray their friends paddling in the shallows, but inevitable getting pretty close to other bathers too. They often cut up windsurfers and as the estuary is a fairly enclosed piece of water, the noise they create is much more of a disturbance than it is on the seafront.

Al.

Al.

dazzamuffin
Hot shot

Member #: 46
Posts 54

Mood: stoked

posted on 23-3-2003 at 20:23 Reply With Quote
grommet you have been awarded the the status of an honoury wind surfer

you have entered the guild of bad asses

and carry the title grommet of borth

you need to have a go at wind surfing\kite surfing gromment youd never go back on jet ski again

tripping the white fantastic

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy