Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Newbie needs some advice :)
craigw7272

Member #: 155
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 26-2-2003 at 10:12 Reply With Quote
Newbie needs some advice :)

Ok, this is a strange one but I'm not a new windsurfer just new to the equipment side. I came over from SA 5 years ago and I used to surf there. I had a mistral board and 2 sails and thats all I know. I picked it up second hand ;-)

I'm a real lightweight, 5'8" - 59Kg's - I have NO idea what equipment I need to get surfing again, I don't even know where to surf

I don't think I can afford new equipment but if anyone can advise what to lookout for in the second hand scene and where to look that would be great

I'm in Sutton, Surrey - where abouts can I go to surf ? I'm not into competition surfing, just fun and fast I suppose I need an all round sort of board.

thanks

Craig

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 26-2-2003 at 14:48 Reply With Quote
I dont know what level you are at sailing so can't really comment on what you should buy. If your after second hand stuff you should go down to hayling island on the last sunday of the month to the boot sail.
Its at shore water sports follow signs over the bridge to Hayling island then turn left just before the petrol station follow the road down til it bears right and straight on to the boot sale.
Good luck hope yo find what you want

craigw7272

Member #: 155
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 26-2-2003 at 15:12 Reply With Quote
thanks I will try that.

As for any others reading I'm no pro surfer. never been out to see, its always been on damns or lakes, I can get going easy, surf fast, turn around okish etc.

C

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 26-2-2003 at 16:03 Reply With Quote
I missed your question about where to sail, theres a few reseviors around the west of london or from Surrey is only a short drive down to the coast. As you are mainly a lake sailor i'd guess your after flatter water venues, hayling island is mainly flat at low tide due to a sand bank which protects the beach in SW direction, Poole is another flat water venue with the added attraction that you can always find a place with a decent wind direction.

or im sure there will be a few talking you into going to wales, Im gonna try and make it over there this year

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 27-2-2003 at 15:11 Reply With Quote
They are building an awful lot of wind farms in Mid Wales, so that must say something...

but its a long way from London, or in fact anywhere...

Dave
Windy City

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy