Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: wintertasters?
mikey

Member #: 78
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 24-11-2002 at 22:43 Reply With Quote
wintertasters?

Hi, I have just spent a yr working in NZ, learnt to surf out there, on a longboard..still only early intermediate level but keen to keep going..any tips about getting straight into it despite it being winter and where should I go , I am based in Lancaster.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 27-11-2002 at 22:47 Reply With Quote
Hi Mikey,
Lancaster isn't the best of places to be located for surfing I'm afraid. You're unlikely to get any real surf on any of the local beaches and there isn't really anywhere nearby thats any good either.

So, you are going to have to travel in order to get in the water. (or start windsurfing or kitesurfing as the conditions around you are pretty good for that!)

Really you have two options, head to the East Coast where there are quite a few breaks from easy beach breaks to gnarly reef breaks, or head to North Wales (Hells Mouth probably).

Hells Mouth is fairly consistent in the autumn and winter and a decent place for someone of your standard. It usually has slightly blown out beach break waves, but can produce waves of a better quality. The usual SW storms expected at this time of year priduce swells that travel up through St. Georges Channel towards Hells Mouth. The SW winds associated with these low pressure systems tends to blow the waves out though. There are a couple of other better quality waves around here suited to more experienced surfers too.

The East Coast can be surprisingly good as well. Water temps are lower (averaging 5†C in Feb/Mar and 14†C in Sept...although it has dropped as low as 2.5†C and can get to 17†C!). There are certain complicated weather patterns that produce swells along the NE coast... Big Low pressures between Scotland and Scandivia produce swells from the north and can be cleabed up nicely if a ridge of high presuure follows it. These sweels usually last for a few days, but can last up to a week if the low pressure fills slowly over Norway. Low pressure moving from SW England to SE Scotland, strong E-SE winds can produce a southerly swell which can get pretty big (usually 4-6ft but it can go as big as 10ft!) Such swells only last a day or two...So keep your eye on the weather patterns and be flexible as to where you'll travel.

Hope that helps.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

mikey

Member #: 78
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 28-11-2002 at 08:34 Reply With Quote
Cheers Al,

checking out your web site hells mouth seems like a good spot to try out , pitty about the distance i will have to go on long weekend trips.

I need to get my hands on a good secondhand longboard any suggestions if anywhere between lancaster and north Wales will sell any or will I need a trip to the SW, unfortunately I had to sell ALL prior to leaving NZ!

Hell's Mouth: camps sites / sleeping in cars / cheersful BBs / YHs ?

My Wife's family have a small bungalow in Port Erin, IOM, you must be the only person reporting on surfing/windsurfing on the Isle...how does the surfing there compare to Hell's Mouth..

I do windsurf but still need to perfect the waterstart before my open water career can really commence..I will keep at it.

Thanks for the reply
keep up the good work,
Mike

quote:
Originally posted by justal
Hi Mikey,
Lancaster isn't the best of places to be located for surfing I'm afraid. You're unlikely to get any real surf on any of the local beaches and there isn't really anywhere nearby thats any good either.

So, you are going to have to travel in order to get in the water. (or start windsurfing or kitesurfing as the conditions around you are pretty good for that!)

Really you have two options, head to the East Coast where there are quite a few breaks from easy beach breaks to gnarly reef breaks, or head to North Wales (Hells Mouth probably).

Hells Mouth is fairly consistent in the autumn and winter and a decent place for someone of your standard. It usually has slightly blown out beach break waves, but can produce waves of a better quality. The usual SW storms expected at this time of year priduce swells that travel up through St. Georges Channel towards Hells Mouth. The SW winds associated with these low pressure systems tends to blow the waves out though. There are a couple of other better quality waves around here suited to more experienced surfers too.

The East Coast can be surprisingly good as well. Water temps are lower (averaging 5†C in Feb/Mar and 14†C in Sept...although it has dropped as low as 2.5†C and can get to 17†C!). There are certain complicated weather patterns that produce swells along the NE coast... Big Low pressures between Scotland and Scandivia produce swells from the north and can be cleabed up nicely if a ridge of high presuure follows it. These sweels usually last for a few days, but can last up to a week if the low pressure fills slowly over Norway. Low pressure moving from SW England to SE Scotland, strong E-SE winds can produce a southerly swell which can get pretty big (usually 4-6ft but it can go as big as 10ft!) Such swells only last a day or two...So keep your eye on the weather patterns and be flexible as to where you'll travel.

Hope that helps.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 28-11-2002 at 17:43 Reply With Quote
Hi Mikey,
There are a couple of surf shops in Abersoch (just up the road from Hells Mouth). The best is West Coast Surf and they have a decent website with a good forecast too so check it out... They should be able to sell you a decent 2nd hand board as well.

Hells Mouth is much more consistent than the Isle of Man. Its actually quite rare to get decent surf in the Isle of Man..Although I was pleasantly surprised at the quality once it does get some groundswell.

As far as Hells Mouth goes, you can easily get away with sleeping in your car out of season in the car park by the beach. I don't know about individual campsites, YH's etc as I always stay in my van. But there are plenty of campsites, B&B's etc about..Abersoch will be the place to head for such things... And the place to head for a beer too.

Keep us posted on your progress...and keep up the windsurfing!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy