Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Waterstart........... HELP
M Howells

Member #: 1960
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2006 at 17:12 Reply With Quote
Waterstart........... HELP

I'm learning to kitesurf but can't get the waterstart sorted. I've had lessons, and can control the kite ok. My problem is getting my bloody feet into the footstraps of the board without twisting in the water, then facing the wrong way, and the kite going slightly one way or the other. On avarage I'd say only 1 attempt out of 10 I manage to end up in the correct position. Once in the correct position I dip the kite get mysef up on my feet quite often, but can't maintain speed, so either sink backwards, or jump out forwards.

As the wind is normally onshore, there is not much time to mess about before having to walk back into deeper water (about waste high). It doesn't help if there's surf, which is quite often the case.

Any hints on the exact steps to get going would be appreciated. I have a 12m Kite, 180cm board - 13.5 stone. It looks so bloody easy & I'm getting frustrated

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 12-6-2006 at 17:44 Reply With Quote
1. why go in very eep water ,you can be plainning in 30cm no probs and that way yer bum is your anchor and put one foot in your board before gently sitting down whislt sheeting in with your bar to stop the kite flying over your head and luffing.
2point your lead foot towards the kite; front leg straight and the back one bent keeping your C.G. towards the back of the board then you dont go over the top; once up on the initial kite dive keep riding towards the kite until you pick up speed and are plainning easily then slowly bare off into wind.
note from what you say it appears that you have both legs straight out and are acting as a sea anchor, thus the kite flys to the front edge of the window and then runs out of power, you are by that time back in the water,,,,,,,,,,more frustrated! the idea is to at least keep up with the kite and not let it fly faster than you are travelling; if you pull on the bar the kite will back off the window;bit like applying a brake as an analogy, if the bar is let out the kite will fly faster towards the front of the window. its finding the balance when you are up and running.....constantly feeling the power in the kite and sheeting in or out with the bar feeling the sweet spot..........sorry but its time on the water in the end, but its worth it!!!!!!
oh unless the wind is really blowing you might do well to get a bigger kite and get out in gentler winds which means less waves, or look for some quiet pools; ie where we sail or maybe a trip to egypt might do the trick.
tell us where you are and if you are quite local we will always give you a hand on the beach.....N wales.
hope it helps.

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

M Howells

Member #: 1960
Posts 2

Mood:

posted on 13-6-2006 at 11:49 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason I go into waste deep is to give myself time to settle in the right position & also have a few meters 1 - in case I get going, & 2 incase cock up and get dragged - at least I'll still be in the water & not on the beach. I'm living near Gower, so am using the beaches aroud there (depending on wind direction)

I agree that Ideally I need a large expance of flat water about 18 inches deep. I'm sure I could crack it then. Is there anywhere in North Wales like that. (Or anywhere near gower)

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 13-6-2006 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
aberdovey is blessed with lagoons between the sand bars which work very well ,also Shem teaches over there and there are also numerous others who would give you a hand. we tend to sail on the ynyslas/borth side in the waves, more fun.

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 13-6-2006 at 12:46 Reply With Quote
The waves are much cleaner and peel better at dovey.

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 15-6-2006 at 20:36 Reply With Quote
Good advice from Neil (as usual!)

It's very tricky to advise without seeing what your doing, but a really good technique that might help is the pattern you fly the kite to obtain power.

Most riders simply dive the kite from the 12 o'clock position but when learning this can create two significant problems:

1. The kite is diving towards the ground and inevitably will crash.
2. The amount of power obtained is limted as it's only flying through half of the potential window.

The answer:
If aiming to go port tack (to the left), start with the kite in the 2o'clock position and fly it horizontally towards the 10 o'clock postion. the kite is now moving horizontally and less likely to crash and you will obtain more power as the kite flys "further". Power can be controlled by changing the start position higher or lower. i.e high winds fly from 1 to 11 o'clock, light winds 3 to 9 o'clock. Reverse the direction of kite movement for a starboard tack.

This should give you more time to get your balance and keep the board planing.

www.kitesurfteacher.co.uk
IKO/BKSA Instructor

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 16-6-2006 at 09:12 Reply With Quote
also consider the upstroke of the kite, don't assume you need to power dive the kite to get going, try that first and if your still facing the kite but haven't stood up use the up stroke to lift you onto the board..

or simply come to borth most weekends grab one of us and have a laugh at the same time

IanK
Grommet

Member #: 2026
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 22-6-2006 at 10:06 Reply With Quote
Waterstart... I had the same problem

Hi M,

I had exactly the same problem when I started, kept twisting round whilst getting the board on.
I found 2 things that helped a bit.

1. make sure your straps are pretty loose, this can be a bit tricky with some as they don't make them hugely adjustable. Once you get the hang of getting the board on you can tighten them up but for now it's probably better to have them loose.. helps when you get hauled over the front of the board too.

2. Have you tried having your kite more over on one side of the window when getting the board on? It tends to pull to the side then and gives the board something to push against. You need to sit back in the water with your board in the right position and then move the kite over to the side, as it moves you'll feel the board get pushed against your feet slightly. This means you can use your legs to control the board better and don't twist as much. The golden rule really is to keep the board between you and the kite at all times... but I'm sure you'd worked that out already.
This way does have the added risk though that if you pull the wrong way with the kite it has the entire window to cross so could get really powered up if you go wrong.

You could also try just sweeping the kite back and forth across the window, once you have the board on, and pointing the board to move with the kite. This makes you move in a zig zag pattern downwind, a bit like how they teach you to snowboard first to get you used to how the board feels. It also means the kite is higher in the window so naturally pulls you up out of the water and onto the board. I found doing this helped me get used to how to steer the board before I could properly waterstart.

Don't worry, I spent 3 hours in Borth estuary in January one day and managed to get the board on... oh... about 3 times... couldn't feel my feet for hours afterwards. We've all been there

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy