Author: Subject: Buying newish complete Windsurfing kit
Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 3-4-2006 at 21:23 Reply With Quote
Buying newish complete Windsurfing kit

Now I've got a job and attempting to settle down. I'm gonna splash out and buy myself some newish kit if I can (gear under the 5yr old mark). Im sick and tired of using knackered old gear not knowing whether its gonna last you the session. I'm gonna spend around a grand and get a complete kit if I can ideally from someone sellin up.

I'l therefore be after 2 boards - one around the 80l mark and one around 100l.
I mainly sail at the estuary of a river and is tidal so can get some quite choppy conditions once you go below 5.7 weather so would go for wave orientated gear.

I'l be after a quiver of 3 sails - somewhere around a 4.5, 5.5 and a 6.5. I dont mind the 6.5 being a slalom sail but the 4.5 & 5.5's would have to be wave sails.
I'l also be requiring a boom to accomodate all 3 sails as well as a mast and UV joints etc.

The question is where do I look for a complete kit at a reasonable price? Been on ebay loadsa times but its all old crappy stuff going for top wack so no use really.

Other thing is I'd like to get it soon as I cant get out again until I get some gear after having to ditch my rig at the weekend which had my only Boom and Mast.
Also what kind of age bracket am I gonna be lookin at for this Price?

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers
Jonny

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 4-4-2006 at 06:47 Reply With Quote
Settling down????.... I don't believe it!!

You should be able to get fairly decent 2nd hand boards for around the £200-£300 mark. Take a look here:

http://www.windsurfer.co.uk/1usedboards1.htm for a decent listing.

Also phone a few of the shops, I got my last set of boards from Funsport in Rhosneigr and got some really good deals.

An 80ltr (or slightly smaller) and 100ltr should make a nice combination.

There should be plenty of 2nd hand ails around too, although take a look at the prices of Gun Sails (http://www.gunsails.co.uk/en/segel.htm before you buy 2nd hand as you can get a new sail pretty cheaply there... especially if you look at last years models or the 'Nice Price' section... You won't get 3 new sails, mast, boom etc and two boards for £1000, but it will be worth looking beofre going for the 2nd hand route. It might be worth asking if they can do you a deal if you are buying quite a bit of kit.. Mention that you know me as well as they know who I am as I get all my kit from them and I am one of their 'key-riders'.

Of course, if you find a shop that has a couple of boards that you like the look of, I'm sure they will do you a decent deal if you buy the whole lot from them. Give Boardise a ring as well and see what they have.

Let us know what you get.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 4-4-2006 at 08:30 Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your lost kit Jonny.

Shop around. There is good second hand kit about.

Ebay can be good but you have to be selective and you have to sit and wait a long time to find something good.

Boardwise carry loads of 2nd hand kit. http://www.boardwise.co.uk/

Also take a look at Riks http://www.rikswindsurfing.com/

Robin Hood windsurfing carry loads of used kit also and I have seen people about with good quality used kit from there http://www.roho.co.uk/windsurf/windsurfing_used.html

Good luck!

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 9-4-2006 at 20:29 Reply With Quote
I'm settling down for a coupla years Al. Who knows but my thoughts at this moment in time are to bugger of again in a few years time and live else where for a few years.
Cheers for all the info guys regarding windsurfing equipment. I'm a fan of Gun sails and the one that failed me last weekend had seen some serious use even before I started using it. It didn't owe me a penny. The Gun sails are cracking value for what you get just like the Rushwind sails I think.
Anyways it could be some time before I get all my kit as I cant get a loan with being away from the country for 14months. I'l hav to work something out though as its killing me being stuck at home not being able to do anything. I've had to resort to playing golf instead.

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 10-4-2006 at 16:20 Reply With Quote
golf!? you must be getting old!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
jaimie072
Grommet

Member #: 2017
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 19-6-2006 at 14:40 Reply With Quote
You've probably got new kit by now, but Harry Nass in Dahab are selling off all their 'old' kit in july. When I say old its 2005 and 2006 stuff all in great nick. The sails are NP combats, zones etc and JP boards. I'm probably going to buy a board and get them to ship it to the UK and I'll pay shipping costs. The boards are being sold for arouns £230 and and are in great condition so an absolute bargain. Not sure about sails. With your £1000 u should be able to get some decent gear u just need to shop around. Get a decent board and then spend the most on the sail u will use the most. I always get new 5.0's and second hand 4.0' as I use my 5 the most.
flying froggy
Grommet

Member #: 2115
Posts 10

Mood:

posted on 30-11-2006 at 19:30 Reply With Quote
Wow nice hint about the Dahab guy thanks a lot!
I'm looking around for my first board myself, and £250 for a 2005-2006 board sounds amazing! Do you know how much shipping would be from Egypt, and how can I contact them? In fact my uni's club is going there in January and March so they might be able to pick up the thing and take it back with them anyway (I unfortunately couldn't join them, damn).

Right, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy