Author: Subject: Hi from Froggy
Froggy
Beach Bum

Member #: 62
Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 28-9-2002 at 17:44 Reply With Quote
Hi from Froggy

Just a quick Hi. Just found the site during a no-wind afternoon. I really must find something to do (other than DIY) on those windless weekends. I've windsurfed for years, but never really got up to the carving stage. I blame the kit. Anyway, I like the odd surfing session and have recently got a small power kite (stacker 6) to "test the water" before having a go at kitesurfing. You might see me about here a bit, as I dont know anyone who windsurfs anymore.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 28-9-2002 at 20:01 Reply With Quote
Hi Froggy,
Good to see you here. Glad you like the site. Where are you based and where do you normally sail?? What kit have you got if you 'blame the kit'...I do the same with my old HEAVY Hifly 265, mind you, its recently learnt to carve gybe, so it is possible to teach an 'old dog' new tricks... If you can call a basic Carve gybe a 'new trick'.

Anyway, good to have you onboard...hopefully see you on the water sometime.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Froggy
Beach Bum

Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 29-9-2002 at 10:20 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,
I'm based in Cheltenham, and due to time, most of my sailing tends to be on the local "muddy puddles" in Worcester, Bredon or South Cerney. I work part of the week in London so am temped to (although not done it yet) sail at Queenmary or Datchet reservoirs. Most of my sailing is on inland waters, so I do find sea sailing a bit different, especially when I'm on my own. Other places I go to when time allows: LLandegford res, Poole, Weymouth, Gower, Bigbury, Ullswater. perhaps once a year each.

Kit these days is an old bic Vivace, although I bought a old Strapper last year (Australian), which is supposed to go like a rocket, but I've not got it going yet! Sails: Tush, Simmer, Pryde.

I'm also kind of temped to go for a whole set of new kit: Mistral Radar, Tush tBird.... any experience with either?

Cheers
Froggy

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-9-2002 at 16:47 Reply With Quote
I know Cheltenham fairly well, and have sailed at most of the locations you mentioned. South Cerney used to be one of my regular haunts and it was one of the first places I learnt to sail a short-board in the harness and the straps....Unfortunately I had to turn around as soon as I got comfortable and the turning bit was a different story. I then moved onto bigger and better places and sailed mainly at Portland, before moving to West Wales where I learnt to sail in waves.

Your kit doesn't sound too bad I'm afraid, so I don't know if you can use it as an excuse! And I haven't tried any of the kit you mentioned, although I have tried quite a few boards this year.

I know what you mean about sailing on the sea, its definately a completely different game to sailing on flat water, but stick with it, because once you get the hang of it properly, there'll be no tunring back. It took me ages, but then one day I just relaxed a bit more and off I went. Now i just can't get enough of it.

Al.

Froggy
Beach Bum

Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 29-9-2002 at 18:37 Reply With Quote
Yes OK, I know I shouldnt blame the kit, but I think it's come a long way in the last few years, and if nothing else, an "upgrade" might encourage me to get out more.

Until end of last year I had an alpha 110(L) which almost put me off windsurfing altogether. I just couldnt get the thing going unless it was blowing 4+, it was soo unstable otherwise. So most of the time it just me off. The Vivace I paid £60 (!) for at the end of last year and is a bit more accepting of varied conditions. A slightly larger (wider?) board might mean I can sail in a wider range of conditions. - and enjoy it!

I did go out this afternoon at worcester just pratting about, as the wind was somewhat variable. A trip to the coast is a day's worth and takes more planning (or planing) with family and stuff, but I really should do it.

Froggy

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-9-2002 at 20:20 Reply With Quote
An Alpha hey...that must have been pretty old. Mind you, none of my boards get going until Force 4+, actually I don't really bother until its force.

The new kit has come on a lot in the last few years though, but short and fat isn't always better as most of the short, widestyle modern boards become pretty horrible to sail once the wind gets up and the water gets choppy. An old fashinoned, longer, thinner Freeride board still has more all-round appeal once the winds enoough to get planing. They are also generally faster...And if it only cost £60, just think of the satisfaction you get when you sail past someone on a brand spanking new £800 board!!!

Do you ever sail at Weston???...That wouldn't take too much planning from Cheltenham, just a quick dash along the motorways...you would have to plan it around the tides though.

Al.

Froggy
Beach Bum

Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 29-9-2002 at 20:45 Reply With Quote
I think I'll make a garden ornament out of the alpha!
I suppose the ideal is to have a couple of boards that suit everything from: "I'm here now and although its crap I may as well sail" to ideal blasting conditions (which seem to be too few and far between).

I'm hoping that the tatty 'ole Strapper should prove exciting, but I just havent had the wind to get it going yet. I picked it up from an on-line auction at boattastic.com before it disappeared.

Western, no, never sailed there. You're right though its only 45 mins away, but as I'd need to plan things a bit with the tides otherwise its a long walk back through the mud.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 29-9-2002 at 20:52 Reply With Quote
Weston can be well worth it though...Don't swallow too much water, and stop sailing when the locals do and you should be OK... It would be a good location to get into wave a bit as well, as they aren't too big and mean there, the wind is usually onshore(ish) so its pretty safe and theres usually a few people around to watch/get tips from.

A bit like Borth really, just without the naked Hula girls and constant trade winds!...Shh, don't tell everyone about the 'Hula Girls of Borth' or the place will get far too crowded.

Al.

Froggy
Beach Bum

Posts 20

Mood:

posted on 29-9-2002 at 21:01 Reply With Quote
Hula girls eh? - I'm on the way!
Although I didnt see any last time I was in Borth. That was for a weekend of sand yachting about 4 years ago - great fun. Stayed at the YHA place.

Yeh , I really should give weston a go, and start to get into a bit of wave sailing.

Froggy

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy