Author: Subject: The Ideal Quiver
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 27-7-2002 at 14:52 Reply With Quote
The Ideal Quiver

I've just been thinking about updating my toybox and so got to thinking about what my ideal windsurfing quiver would be...Note that I say ideal rather than 'ultimate' so this is a realistic quiver rather than just one of everything in the shop please!

Ability wise I guess I'm late intermediate-advanced (I make most but not all of my gybes, can sail in waves and land some jumps). I sail in coastal conditions from flat water blasting through to big messy onshore waves. Its rare that we get decent cross-off down-the-line wave sailing conditions here and if we do then I tend to just surf anyway.

So, the quiver:
Boards

For winds in the 13-17 knot range I'd like a 100-115 litre fairly wide freeride/freestyle board. I did have a F2 Max2Air 264, but it kept breaking and I currently have a Fanatic Cross 100 on demo. The Max2Air was perfect except for its fragility. The Cross does seem like a suitable substitute though and despite its smaller size actually seems to get going almost as early. The main difference was that the Max2Air was really responsive in the waves, whereas the Cross is more controllable in stronger winds.

Once winds get to the 16-22 knot range I'd like an 85 litre wave-orientated freeride board or large wave board. At the moment I have an old Hifly 265 to fill this gap, but would like something like the Starboard Acid 88 or Mistral Wave Score 88.

For stronger winds in the 20+ knot range I'd like a smaller wave board. At the moment I have an old (and currently broken) Mistral Eruption, but would like a Fantic Goya 250. However for now I think I'll just repair the Eruption and save my pennies.

Sails
For light winds I'd like a nice 7m no cam freeride type of sail. I haven't really looked into these yet though as it would mean getting a new mast and boom too!

I then have a Gun Groove 6.3m which I'm more than happy with.

Next in line would be a 5.7m wave sail and a 5.0m wave sail. I curently have my eye on the Gun Wave MC's in this size and that could well be my next purchase. At the moment this size range is covered by my very old and threadbare Tushingham Scrambler 5.4m. I'd go with the Gun sails as they are so competively priced and seem to do the job perfectly.

Next down from the 5.0m would be a 4.5m wave sail (I currently have two of these,a Gun Wave MC and a North Voodoo so should be OK there for a while).

I'd then like a 4.0m wave sail, something like a Simmer Onshore Wave or a pryde Core.

Finally a 3.5m sail of any description for those mad days in the winter.

I think that would just about cover most conditions with a little bit of overlap...although it would be good to have a really fast board such as an old Sputnik in the garge for the really windy dead flat offshore days.

So, what do you think?
What kit do you have, and what would you like to add to it?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 28-7-2002 at 18:50 Reply With Quote
Now a pondweed good and proper, hence kit is fairly different! Still an intermediate; waterstart, comfy in harness and straps and sometimes in control even when windy. Still get catapaulted a fair bit though doooh

Boards

Light Winds
AHD Diamond Race 67, 147L and 275 I think, very light, fast and fragile and not too nice to try and gybe but it planes early and is quick

Wouldn't mind one of those monster 1m wide Formula Boards but no way I'm paying £1000 for one! In reality I'd only plane a few knots earlier so whats the point?

Medium winds
Mistral 288 XLE Same shape as Explosion II but light weight construction, this was my only board for ages, easy to sail and durable. It's in the for sale section as I'd like to replace it with a Freestyley board like a F2 Project Style L or a JP Freestyle

Medium-Strong winds
F2 Axxis 272 All round strong wind board for me although it will take a 6.5-7m although I only use it with a 6m or less.

Strong-nuclear winds
Would like a waveboard, but it would get very little use if at all! I too like the look of a Fanatic Goya...

Sails

Would like a nice 8.5-9m either a Pryde Diablo/V8

7.5 Hekler, my current big sail, nice and light good range, probably one of the most popular sails ever!

6m Pyro, bought off Jay when he went to Oz, now has more tape than sail so needs replacement with maybe a North Volcano

5.3 and 4.7 Raves, Lovely sails

Would like to add 4-4.2 North Voodoo

3.6 Rip Wave New this week from Boardwise to teach my girlfriend with and use when its honking, looks new in perfect nick but then how often do you use a sail this small ?!

Thats the wish list for me

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 29-7-2002 at 07:59 Reply With Quote
ideal quiver - it's obvious

I'll take a small wave board, either a goya or a naish wave and a 5m neil pryde wave sail, nothing else

because if it's ideal I'd be sailing them everyday <grin>

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 29-7-2002 at 19:55 Reply With Quote
Ah, but don't forget:

He who dies with the most toys...WINS!!

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 29-7-2002 at 20:32 Reply With Quote
Then in that case my ideal quiver will be as follows :

Then Make my quiver the Following:

Boards:

Davidson Div II Board
Fanatic Cat
Starboard Formula 186x
Starboard Carve 151
Starboard Carve 135
Naish Flying Pig
Fanatic Skate 64
Fanatic Skate 59
Starboard Fish 96
JP Freestyle Wave 78
JP Freestyle Wave 86
JP Freestyle Wave 94
Naish Enduro 8'6"
Naish Enduro 8'8"
Naish Enduro 9'0"
Naish Quest 254
Naish Quest 244
Naish Comp Wave 8'5"
Naish Comp Wave 8'1"
Fanatic Goya 250
Starboard Hypersonic
My little VitSea wave board

Sails:

All Neil Pryde full quivers:

RS1
V8
Soul
Expression
Search
Core

I would obviously replace most of this with new kit each year

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy