Author: Subject: Crap Surf
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 11-9-2002 at 21:28 Reply With Quote
Crap Surf

Well, the surf has started to arrive...just. So I've just got back from a crap session at Borth in prety poor waves.

It was actually quite nice just sitting in the water chatting to Harvey and watching the sun set though.. You should have seen the board he's built himself......

He made it from some polystyrene he found on the beach, some carbon fibre matting he got for free from somewhere and a load of epoxy resin that he also acquired free of charge. The board was OK, pretty light, with ridiculously sharp rails, but the workmanship wasn't great so the whole thing had a slightly spongy feel to it, the fin was held on (off centre) with duct tape and was therefore a little wobbly to say the least. And after the session the whole thing weighed at least 5 times as much as it had before...Apparently it dries out pretty quickly though, and judging by the steady stream of water coming out of it on the way up the beach he wasn't kidding...Oh, the leash plug was good too...A hole drilled straight through the tail of the board with a piece of string shoved through it and tied in a stopper knot...Nice one Harvey!! I had a go on it towards the end of the session though, and its got to be said it was a lot easier to surf than the board I was on.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Ben
Grommet

Member #: 56
Posts 8

Mood: aroused

posted on 12-9-2002 at 10:47 Reply With Quote
Should have been there at 2:00 mate...waist to chest high, clean, and only four out. Looking good for Friday mind.
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 12-9-2002 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I knew I was missing it, but even I have to work sometimes!!

Still, had a nice little windsurf today. 5.0m sail and big (99 litre) board, just cruising around estuary....that was until.... I was just cruising along nicely, messing around sailing no-handed when 'BANG', the webbing on my harness snapped and I did a pretty spectacular dismount... Of course, just before it happened a coach turned up at the beach and a whole group of girls were just streaming out of it watching "the cool windsurfer"!!!.

So, I packed up, got straight on the phone to Gun and a new waist harness is winging its way to me as we speak... It only cost £40 including delivery too... I'll let you know if its any good when it arrives.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 13-9-2002 at 22:22 Reply With Quote
I managed a better surf today. Again, pretty small, but really clean this time and what a day!!...Scorching hot all day, so it was nice to get in the water to cool down. There were a few other people out too, and I had some really nice little waves.

Apparently there was a meeting in Borth today about the proposed artificial reefs too, but I was only told about it this morning and didn't get the message in time...Anyone know hwat happened??

Al.

Ben
Grommet

Member #: 56
Posts 8

Mood: aroused

posted on 16-9-2002 at 08:33 Reply With Quote
I don't know the details, but it sounds like it's looking a bit grim. Apparently the council are still pretty keen on this rock wall idea...that'll be no surf and too many jet skis then. Maybe there's some insider stuff going on with the contractor!?

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy