Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 16th September 2004 Diary Entry by andyc.
paul s
Hot shot

Member #: 537
Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 17-9-2004 at 12:31 Reply With Quote
Re: 16th September 2004 Diary Entry by andyc.

On 16th September 2004, andyc wrote:

quote:
[Went for the 6.5m which was immediately alot better, having spoken to one of the local lads i raised the boom level a little and lengthened the harness lines in an attempt to find that suspended feeling, was a bit better but think i need to raise it even further. Is this a good idea? Any advice at this point very much welcomed!! Anyway managed a few stonking reaches (felt like it to me anyway?) before having to de rig in a mad rush so i could pick up the nipper. I will master this bloody sport one day!!

There's a Boards forum topic active on just this subject: http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1510.
I sail at Draycote too if you want some more advice on this. Look for the black Galaxy.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 17-9-2004 at 15:54 Reply With Quote
You'll find its all to do with personal preference really and there aren't any hard and fast rules bout boom height. Somewhere between nipple and and chin height, with most people going for about shoulder height. I always used to have my boom really low, but have raised it up to around shoulder ehight recently as my harness hook got caught on it a few times. It felt a little strange to start with, but I soon adapted to the new boom height/

Harness line length is another issue where whatever feels right for you is probably best. I use really short (20 inch) lines all the time with a waist harness, but if you're not sure which is best for you, get some adjustable ones and experiment. The ideal length will depend on the type of sailing you do and the type of harness you wear, as well as your build and personal preference. Don't just feel that there is an optimum set-up and thats the way to go. The thing to do is experiment with different settings until you get it just right for you. Not only will you find the right set up for you, but you'll also learn how slight adjustments can make a difference. That way when, in the future, things don't quite feel right you'll know what to change.

Have fun.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy