Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 29-5-2004 at 05:01 Reply With Quote
ANOTHER TWEAK FOR DIARIES

Al,

Can we have a pull down menu thingy for our location in the diaries section? I like most sail at probably 3 - 6 main spots so it would be really cool - save on typing - make it easier for folk, if we could have this...... ;-).

Hans.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 29-5-2004 at 06:11 Reply With Quote
Hmmm.... OK, I'll have a think about it. I did think about integrating it with the beachguides and having a pull down menu of locations that relate to locations in the beachguide.... This would have several benefits:

1] Eveyone would enter the location with the same spelling so people would be able to search for all diary entries from a particular location from within the beachguides.

2] It would get more listings in the beachguides because it would encourage people to add listings.

3] It would stop you having to type quite so much.

The main disadvantage are is that you wouldn't have the flexibility to enter whatever you liked... For example people like to enter Weston-Super-Sludge instead of Weston-Super-Mare etc. I guess I could get around this by having both a dropdown menu from which you could choose a location and a normal text entry box in case you wanting to add a name with more flexibility... This would probably be needed anyway so that you could enter locations that aren't in the beachguides.

The other big disadvantage is that it would be quite a bit of work. I'd have to build a new database table to contain everyones favourite beaches (otherwise you would have a huge pull down list containing every beach in the beachguides!), and then build html pages that allow you to add to and delete beaches from your favourites list, as well as the scripts to actually manipulate the database....

I'll keep it in mind though.... What does everyone think. If you think it would enhance the site, I'll do it.... Or at least, I'll give it a go. Let me know your thoughts and how you think it would be best to do it.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 31-5-2004 at 21:47 Reply With Quote
Al,

Blimey... you really have looked into this! I like the idea of linking it into the beach guide. I think giving people the flexibility to type in a name of there choice is a little un-necessary - in my humble opinion.... after all this site is about sharing useful information with like minded folks and if I could list all the entries for a certain beach that say... I hadn't been to before and learn from others experience I would say that that was pretty damn useful. Go on you know you love programming SQL.

Cheers,

Hans.

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 12-6-2004 at 16:13 Reply With Quote
And who might that be that's entering rubbish like "Weston-Super-Sludge"? :->
MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 12-6-2004 at 16:42 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by justal

The main disadvantage are is that you wouldn't have the flexibility to enter whatever you liked... For example people like to enter Weston-Super-Sludge instead of Weston-Super-Mare etc. I guess I could get around this by having both a dropdown menu from which you could choose a location and a normal text entry box in case you wanting to add a name with more flexibility... This would probably be needed anyway so that you could enter locations that aren't in the beachguides.

The other big disadvantage is that it would be quite a bit of work. I'd have to build a new database table to contain everyones favourite beaches (otherwise you would have a huge pull down list containing every beach in the beachguides!), and then build html pages that allow you to add to and delete beaches from your favourites list, as well as the scripts to actually manipulate the database....

I think Al, the main work would not be building the new table, but a) populating it with each individuals' favourites. I can't think of a single SQL statement that would do it, though I'm sure it's possible.

Something along the lines of:

INSERT INTO {new table} ({personid}, {beach})
SELECT DISTINCT {personid}, {beach}
FROM {whatever tables you need to join}
WHERE
{eg: members_table.personid}=
{diaries_table.personid}
ORDER BY {personid}, {beach};

might do the trick...

And b) writing the php code to do the dropdown & incorporating it into existing code.

Give us a shout if you decide to do it & need a couple (no more) extra neurons.

Cheers,
Martin

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 12-6-2004 at 18:03 Reply With Quote
Cheers Martin, As you say, its easy enough to mset up really and lots of different ways to do it... either integrating it with the beachguides, or letting each member add their own list of favourites much in the same way as they have a list of toys. The latter would allow them to enter 'rubbish' like Weston-Super-Sludge as well!

I will have to get around to these 'tweaks' soon, but I'm pretty busy working at the mo, and getting ready for the BIG DAY... Not long to go now!

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 13-6-2004 at 05:04 Reply With Quote
BTW, doesn't your browser have an autofill feature which should remember your 'favourite' locations anyway meaning that you only have to type the first letter or so?... Most do and thats how it works here.

I know having a list of favourite beaches would be nicer in a way as then these could be included in your profile somewhere for all to see, which would be quite nice... A job for the winter for me I guess.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy