Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Wheres all the wind gone??
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-8-2002 at 19:50 Reply With Quote
Wheres all the wind gone??

A bit of a disappointing day at Borth today. It seemed windy most of the day, but by the time I got to the beach it was only about 11 knots so I set up my 11m Wipika...As I tried to launch it the wind dropped completely. Did get it flying in the end, but in very light winds...Packed it up and what do you know, 12 knots of wind comes along again!
Grrrrrrr...

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 14-8-2002 at 21:24 Reply With Quote
Grrrrrr...its now 10.30pm, dark and guess what...the winds picking up.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 15-8-2002 at 10:26 Reply With Quote
Where the wind went

In case you wondered where the wind went:
It was in North Wales!

Since it seemed like I would not meet anyone at my/our favorite beach at the golf course in Borth, I decided to head to Rhosneigr.
It was quite an awfully long drive. It took me somewhat over 2 and a half hours. Anyway a force 5 southerly was forecast. When taking a leak up in the mountains that was surely true as the small lake up there had lots of white horses!
Down at the beach it was only a force 4 though
I rigged my 6.2 sail and got out. It was quite ok for me but others really struggled to get going. During the day it got better (and for brief periods worse) and it was ok overall.
The bay there really lets you choose conditions. There is a part of the beach where the waves are lake-like and a part where the swell (about 1 -1.5 m yesterday) hits the beach. Although by the time the swell got that far into the bay there was only about 0,5 m left of it.
At the best of times yesterday there were about 5 wind surfers, 5 kiters, 4 jetskis and a couple of sail boats out. But at no time did it get cramped.
The only annoying thing were the military jets which practiced touch and goes at the nearby airfield almost constantly.

As with all spots everything depends on the wind. But maybe we can organise a weekend up there when conditions seem to be right. Anyone interested?

Joe

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy