Board logo

heaviest wave in the world
booger - 12-7-2005 at 09:47

chopes?
pipe?
shipsterns?
cyclops?
shark island?

come on fellas give us your opinion, or put up any breaks i have forgotten or dont know about.

i rekon chopes, shippies or cyclops dunno though hard to split any of them

Airborne - 12-7-2005 at 10:03

I would have to say Cyclops, that scares me just looking at it.

I haven't heard of shipsterns before is it usually nicknamed something else?...and wheres is it it?

But then again i reckon the shark island one can get pretty heavy...im confused with which one to say. Sometimes shark island does look like cyclops.

Let's not forget Jaws...im not sure if you can call it a heavy wave because of the way it breaks, i dunno, but it sure is big.

leonardo - 12-7-2005 at 11:28

Teahapoo for sure...but then again, it's all relative wrt swell direction, size and conditions on the day

bucski - 12-7-2005 at 14:46

yeah leo's got it def Teauphoo, it's got a lip as thick as most waves are high, and it just sucks so much it's ridiculous, doesn't look like it should belong on this planet!

justal - 12-7-2005 at 16:43

Teauphoo certainly is pretty mad, but cylops can give it a run for its money too... I think this counts as a pretty thick lip:

Airborne - 12-7-2005 at 16:47

oh yeh, i forgot Teaphoo That's a very heavy wave.

I've posted the same picture that Justal did somewhere else, and i have to say that it is still my choice for thick and heavy.

justal - 12-7-2005 at 19:10

I thought this was the one you posted Airborne...

col123 - 12-7-2005 at 19:17

i thought i made the biggest wave when i fell off again

Airborne - 12-7-2005 at 21:04

Hehe

Yup justal thats the one i posted ...i know i've seen the one you posted somewhere before as well.

That pic ^ is like ...i know i wouldn't want to be under that lip.

leonardo - 13-7-2005 at 11:21

thatz some lip bru

booger - 14-7-2005 at 03:10

heres a pic of shipsterns
[IMG]http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/9833/shippies5nq.jpg[/IMG]

heres a pic of chopes
[IMG]http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/4599/chopes9pu.jpg[/IMG]

chopes is a more perfect easier barrell to make i rekon then shippies cause shippies is so much more unpredictable. shippies would most probably be more dangerous cause it is so seculded and breaks infront of a massive cliff and shippies holds way way bigger swells. chopes goes dry more though
overall id say chopes for heaviness but shippies for sketchyness looks so hard to ride that bazz
dont really know that much about cyclops but looks hell think and hollow

booger - 14-7-2005 at 04:18

have any of you fellas been to any of these waves??

Airborne - 14-7-2005 at 07:57

woah! look at those pics

Pretty waves ...they're also pretty BIG. Im sure theres like 3 waves in one on shippies. Terrifying. Loving the caption at the bottom of the first image: "ridiculous situation"

I still thing the cyclops image shows its thickness off well, sure is hollow, the sea before the wave actually seems to dip down and suck round into the lip, like a big dent or bowl. However i have to say that shippies and chopes pics look hefty, its a very close call because chopes does look extremly big and heavy on that image.

I haven't been to any of these waves before...it would be amazing to see them. One thing is for sure though; i wouldn't dare to enter the water if it was like these pics...even if my mum let me lol.

booger - 14-7-2005 at 08:07

that 2nd cyclops pic posted by justal is sik, have a look at how the wave pitches n throws, its would be damn close to throwing at 90 degrees straightout rather than down, on days like that cyclops is unsurfable from the peak, and how thick is that lip a few foot i rekon

have you guys heard of other heavy wave places such as luna park in Aus, and a break called Dinner Plates in southern NZ?? i got some pics of both, see if i can dig them out

[Edited on 14-7-2005 by booger]

Airborne - 14-7-2005 at 09:09

yeh that pic is mind blowing, your right booger the lip does seem to defy gravity and chuck out at 90 degrees, and theres nothing holding it up, freaky.

im sure i've heard of luna park and especially dinner plates...but never seen the actual wave or even where its exactly located, maybe you should dig out those pics

booger - 15-7-2005 at 00:27

here are pics of dinner plates and luna park, not that great these pics as they dont capture the tru power of the waves

Dinner Plates
[IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8733/260bt.jpg[/IMG]

Luna Park
[IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7500/mitchtomkinsleft1hr.jpg[/IMG]
Mitch Tompkins at Luna last year

[IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/495/rangadroppingin8640on.jpg[/IMG]
Brad Hughes at Luna

Airborne - 15-7-2005 at 12:49

I recon those waves look good. The first image looks to be a clean ride, again both places do look big.

Check the hefty drops when taking off on a bodyboard Especially the Brad Hughes one...im surprised they dont damage their arms or snap their heads back when they land. You gotta be good to handle that, dont use your arms properly and land it then you will get a lot of pain in your ribs etc.

Hehe, the second image of Tompkins looks like he's riding a missile of some kind, not a bodyboard.

booger - 19-9-2005 at 06:13

the south swell that hit chopes a few days back would have to give it a run did u guys see that if not chek out these pics from the swell

http://www.tim-mckenna.com/trips-20050913-135530.html?cat=Teahupoo%20Big

Airborne - 7-12-2005 at 15:04

Sweet

Teahupoo 9/11 tow-in-session looks so gnarly VERY BIG...i feel the need to put: that was two days before my birthday

mryoung - 7-4-2006 at 07:40

It has to be cyclops.
Has anyone seen Tension 9?

Airborne - 5-6-2006 at 22:21

Yeh i would agree with cyclops...nope hehe

lee01 - 14-1-2008 at 03:57

Text Purple
nah i reckon the heviest wave are shipsterns and the cortes bank waves

shem - 14-1-2008 at 08:39

Ive been out to Cloud break, when it was 3 times over head, at the time it was ment to be the heaviest wave surfed. ( I was out 40 miles to sea surfing Namoto at fiji, popped to cloud break on the way home and our boat broke down, (wasnt a good moment)!!

shem - 14-1-2008 at 08:51

If you compare the thickiness of the lip to the woman taking a stupid late drop it makes you realise how thik it is!

[Edited on 14-1-2008 by shem]

seanseymour - 14-9-2008 at 03:37

cyclops is heaviest u people have mensioned but cyclops big brother is heavier its fucking skitz