Board logo

Re: 26th March 2006 Diary Entry by mNeil.
Spooker - 27-3-2006 at 11:59

Ooooh Neil you are a tease - tell the viewing public more about your adventures with those burly sailors - Jon D Hat especially will be green with envy!
Well it went something like this...

Us bow kite types were having a little technical discussion (stall speeds AOA that kind of thing - weren't we Daz), when I noticed just how far out to sea Neil had gone - trying to prove that his ageing bag of ripstop would still fly, when would you believe it - it expired whilst in full flight and sank gasping into the drink - oops!

We kept an eye on the proceedings for a while, saw the odd yellow wingtip rise slowly above the waves, only to see it slither back under moments later. After a while we saw Neil waving, and someone thought they heard him shout "come on in the water's lovely", but couldn't be sure.

We retired to the shingle bank for a better look, and as he clearly wasn't going anywhere in a hurry decided it was time to act. I rushed back to my van for my mobile, Kitefish hurried away for his camera. The RNLI were immediately concerned that there was a senior citizen in poor health (sorry Neil - I was just trying to get them to hurry) bobbing around 1/2 mile offshore clutching (and cursing) at a large mound of yellow ripstop.
A convoy of coastguard vehicles soon entered the carpark blue lights flashing.. and Boths finest came zooming along shortly afterwards in rib - bouncing over the waves to rescue our chum.

By now Kitefish was at the water edge, new camera in hand ready to catch every detail of the walk of shame. But, with a cry of "no pictures" the crew were directed back to Borth to make a safe and quite exit.

Thankfully Neil was fine, if a bit chilly - but I guess we'll NEVER stop him extolling the bouyant and thermic advantages of a dry suit now!

mNeil - 27-3-2006 at 12:08

here here; i was toasty!!!!!

leonardo - 27-3-2006 at 14:13

hope all is ok Neil! You're lucky the borth massive swung into action!

Never a good idea to sail far out, thats why i stay in da waves

carlessd - 27-3-2006 at 15:57

nice version of events andy. well done

neil if you'de of transfered the air from your main bladder to your dry suit you wouldn't of had to climb on your kite.

shem - 27-3-2006 at 17:44

Bet the rnli are stocked to get a kite rescue. Wish somebody would do it off Aberdyfi, so I get a shout!!

andy B - 27-3-2006 at 19:47

go Neil you da man and only fi*@1y how old was any one else so brave. see ya the w/e hopfuly

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:50

Oh Spooker you are a bit harsh, anyway didn't see much sailing going on with that there bow diddly kite you had for the weekend And after the big swim our Bluebeard master was back on the water jumping & back looping when some had headed off home Respect But yes I did run for the camera in true massif style so here are the behind the scenes pics for your benefit Neil.

#1 The search begins ' where did you say he is?'

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:52

#2 The search continues 'Where?'

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:54

Mr Scary Pebble Pants soon puts them on the scent

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:55

More Spotters needed

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:56

'OH I see the pub from here'

andy B - 27-3-2006 at 19:58

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 19:59

'Where's the pub?'

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 20:01

'What you doing out here mister?' 'Fancy a lift to the pub?'

Kitefish - 27-3-2006 at 20:05

Rescued
Big up to the Borth RNLI for rescuing our mate, so for all that entertainment next time your passing a lifeboat collection box it's got to be worth a fiver It could be anyone of us next

andy B - 27-3-2006 at 20:06

ops. wicked pics chris, feel like i was there especially like the pebble pants geezer very proper gentleman he looks

Jonny - 27-3-2006 at 21:32

Excellent footage of the rescue. I got rescued a few years ago when I first started windsurfing in offshore winds off the coast of Aberystwyth. Provided some amusements for my mates. You always gotta support the RNLI cos you never know when your gonna need it.

leonardo - 27-3-2006 at 22:13

class pics mate

AndyW - 28-3-2006 at 14:02

Well done Neil.

You really haven't lived until you've caused a full scale rescue effort, nice one.

And congratulations to spooker and co for some great reporting....

Now who's gonna be first to get winched into a helicopter, any offers?

Andy

Fat Shady - 28-3-2006 at 20:09

My mate Dave the Wave got airlifted from Saunton beach a few years ago after he managed to get his knee cap up his a**

bullet - 29-3-2006 at 16:39

No one spotted who Mr pebble pants really is? Its David Hasselhoff!! hes had a skinhead and grown a goaty.
No wonder he looks pi**ed off he was just about to do his Baywatch run dive in and single handed save the day when the geezers with flashing blue lights turned up!!

Kitefish - 29-3-2006 at 20:21

No No No! Thats our on the spot reporter Spooker he's much harder than Hasselhof Hasselhof don't wash himself down with cold bottled water in his budgy smugglers (speedos) outside his van in March. Thats how hard Spooker is And he blends in nicely with the beach too, none of these dayglo shorts

Spooker - 29-3-2006 at 21:43

Kitefish - stop spoiling my chances!

If being mistaken for Hasselhof helps me get laid - then let the dellusion continue!

But "pebble pants" makes me sound a bit annal...?

mNeil - 29-3-2006 at 22:49

why did you think i stayed off shore?; after seeing those trousers on the beach thought twas safer to stay in the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Encee - 1-4-2006 at 00:48

Only just managed to get internet access so catching up on the FON diaries/news. Another "Ripping Yarn" with a good ending. Glad everything worked out for the best Neil..........

Most adrenalin pumping exitement I've had for the past couple of weeks is a visit to the basketball & listening to the tornado warnngs for the Indianapolis area

Need a small kite in one of those !!!!!