Board logo

Leucate, where it's at
ajdesq - 24-5-2003 at 09:31

Well now I'm here in Leucate I can tell you IT'S BRILLIANT!

There's a huge choice of launch areas, both on the lagoon and on the sea. The Tourist Info people are really clued up, and they even produce a booklet detailing launch points. You can also launch further South at Baccar?às, Canet-Plage etc.

The main wind, the NWly off-shore Tramontane blows its tits off on a regular basis. Being off shore you may then choose to use the lagoon - now I know why they make 85l freeride boards!

Wild camping is tolerated (but still not strictly legal) and the council even provide Campervan service points.

Kit here is very well priced. I went a bit mad and got:

Immaculate 2/hand 2001 Starboard Carve 123, Brand new 2002 F2 Mystery wave board, 2 new 2002 Gun Wave sails...
In Sum, 2 boards, 2 sails, 1 wave mast, 1 wave boom, 2 padded board bags, board lock & uphaul rope... traded in the old 310 and got the lot for under 2000 Euro. That's about 1350 quid. You could probably do the same in the UK if you drove the lecgth & breadth of the country, but here the shops are like Board Hypermarkets. There are 3 in Leucate Village, 1 in Port-Leucate.

Like Tarifa you'll benefit hugely by having a car here. Unlike Tarifa the people here are really friendly and attitude-free. So far, in my humble opinion, I give Tarifa 4 stars and Leucate 5 Stars for Overall Impression. Of course, it' still early days yet...

The area is based around 4 villages. Port-Leucate is the purpose-built, smart, modern, Milton Keynes-sur-mer. Leucate Village is old, pretty, and quintessentially french. Le Franqui and Leucate-Plage are quiet (out of season) holiday villages. The all year campsite is in Lecate Plage, only 6 Euro/night out of season. Bloody marvellous!

SeanBo - 24-5-2003 at 19:00

Damn

Already booked this years hols and its no where near Leucate......

Have a great time and keep the 'real' windsurfers abroad reports coming in

badexcuseforasailor - 24-5-2003 at 19:21

Make sure you don't use up all the wind cos its gonna be leucate for me next year. Would be later this year but cant' get anymore holiday from work

Looks like I should buy some kit out there not sure what all your lot would cost over here a lot more than what you paid I bet.

ajdesq - 28-5-2003 at 08:14

Better just add...it's far more suited to intermediates like me trying to learn the carve gybe or waterstart, due to the shallow lagoon. Wave heads & advanced peeps may find it dull. Wind is very gusty.

In the 1st week, 5/8 days good wind but now it's forecast to die for a few days...It'll give the back a rest!

Burgy - 10-6-2003 at 17:18

Just got back from france mself we spent 7 days in la franke just up the coast from lecute, windyest place in france apparently, didnt get over 15mph for the whole time we were there & that 15mph lasted for 30min Ah well cant win them all I guess.

Top place to be though, loads spots for Windsurf & kitesurf & the beach at la franke is wicked for ATB & buggy action, just watch out for the landyachts.

Spent a couple of days in Beaudoc(sp) nr Nice. weird place people just turn up with caravans & start bilding lean-toos around them, got some pics being developed soon.

last couple of day was spent on the north coast perpairing for a big race at Hardelot. superb beach for windsurf & kitesurf when the wind blows & great for buggys when the tides out.

The race was an amasing experance with 95 buggys taking part including the top 40 european pilots from germany & holland, finished 14th so I'm a little stoked about that

Lecute is definatly worth a visit if your into kites or boards.

Steve

Burgy - 10-6-2003 at 17:20

forgot to say bought a underground wavetray 142 while I was out there. totaly amasing