Board logo

Diary Stats Sticker
justal - 19-11-2006 at 12:14

You can now include an updating Statsbar 'sticker' from your Forces-of-Nature diary anywhere on your own website or weblog.

Click here for more details

Let me know if you like it and I may build a few more options into it.

Al.

justal - 20-11-2006 at 08:27

Let us know when you add it to your sites too so that we can all take a look at your website.

Al.

Harry - 20-11-2006 at 19:23

Al - nice touch! I have added it to my profile on the BOARDS website forum. A suggestion; I would prefer to see "my sessions" on the top line instead of "stoke factor", and could you add in total number of sessions to date this year? Cheers and big respect for the great website.

Harry - 20-11-2006 at 19:30

Problem...the BOARDS website forum allows up to only 200 characters in signatures, and the code for the sticker has 298...any ideas?

justal - 20-11-2006 at 20:20

I doubt if the sig file on the boards will allow it anyway, but you could give it a go... Send me an e-mail and I'll make you a special cut down version of the statsbar to try.

Al.

justal - 20-11-2006 at 20:34

quote:
Originally posted by Harry
Al - nice touch! I have added it to my profile on the BOARDS website forum. A suggestion; I would prefer to see "my sessions" on the top line instead of "stoke factor", and could you add in total number of sessions to date this year? Cheers and big respect for the great website.

No problem.. I'll swap the My Session and Stoke Factor lines around and make it so that it shows:

this month / this year / all time

Good points and I'll see if I get chance to do that tomorrow... It may have to wait until later in the week though as it looks quite windy for tomorrow!

I've haven't had any luck with using it as sig file on the Boards forum yet though... which is a shame, but maybe something for me to work on.

Al.

justal - 20-11-2006 at 20:48

Harry... I've just taken a look at your signature on the Boards forums and it seems to be stripping out the '.php?' in the image URL so I have built a rewrite rule at this end so that that bit isn't necessary.... Try taking out the bit in the image url that says

.php?=

and replace it with a single forward slash: /

so that your image URL looks like:

code:
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/dbdriven/home/diary_stats_banner/Harry
/>
but without the line-wrap...Grrrr

See if that works??

Harry - 21-11-2006 at 12:09

Sorry Al - I still can't get it to work. I've been trying to use the forum codes http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_codes.asp but no joy. Putting [IMG] around http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/dbdriven/home/diary_stats_banner/Ha /> rry doesn't work. Any ideas???

justal - 21-11-2006 at 12:16

Hi Harry....
That should work, but I couldn't get it to work either for some reason... I've just tried to look at your sig file on the Boards Forum to see what is happening when you do it, but you have removed the code so I can't see.

It is strange that it won't work, as the avatar you use on the Boards forum is coming from my webspace / server in the same way, and other people seem able to put images into their sig files??

I've embedded it into other web-pages, so maybe it is a configuration within forums that won't allow dynamically generated images to be added?

Al.

justal - 21-11-2006 at 12:22

I've just tried something else to convice the Boards forum that what we are accessing is indeed a jpg image...

Try putting a .jpg on the end of the URL (after the Harry).

Let me know if that works, then I'll work on cutting down the number of characters in the url so that you can add some other stuff to your sig file as well and link the statsbar back to Forces-of-Nature!

Al.

justal - 21-11-2006 at 12:44

Harry.... I think that should work, so have updated the instructions page with some extra instrcutions for adding it to forum sig files. It is easier to explain on the instruction page as I can't add bbcode here without it being interpreted and displayed as an image/link rather than bbcode.

Give it a go and let me know if it works or not.

Cheers.
Al.

Harry - 21-11-2006 at 20:04

No it still doesn't work! I have left the code attached to my profile for you to have a look at if you want.

justal - 21-11-2006 at 20:56

Brilliant, thats what I needed to see... It should be fixed now.

I'll make the other changes you suggested as soon as I get the chance.

Al.

justal - 21-11-2006 at 21:37

Actually... I've made the changes already.. Sessions first then Stoke Factor and it now shows sessions and Stoke Factor for this month, this year and all time.

Thanks for helping me get it working Harry, it should be OK for everyone to use in their forum profiles/signatures now, not just on the Boards Forum but hopefully all of the other forums people are members of too.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Al.

Harry - 22-11-2006 at 07:38

Woohoo! Success! Thank you Al!!!

justal - 22-11-2006 at 14:58

Excellent... I knew we'd get there in the end. Now we have to see if it will work in other forums too and get a few more people to use the 'statsbar sticker'.

It has been tested on various other sites and on MySpace and it works OK there, so I think it should be OK on most other sites now.

Cheers.
Al.

bobb - 7-6-2010 at 15:47

hey this statsbar sticker is really awsome. now we can easily find more people and can use this on different webpages. Thanks for sharing and congrats too.