Board logo

What Car?
SeanBo - 29-9-2003 at 17:04

Ok so it looks as if I am going to have to downgrade my car for the second time in 12 months (this is getting a bit of a nasty habit!)

As I now have an infant I have some new needs so can anyone recommend something that fits the following criteria:-

Essential:-
- Diesel
- Low emissions (back to the company car thing!)
- Minimum 4 doors
- Minimum 4 seats
- Extremely suitable for a roof-rack (roof-bars?)
- Split rear seat (60/40 ideal 50/50 OK)
- Suitable as a company ‘rep-mobile’
- Probably less than £18K new so that the lease figures per month will work!
- Air-con

Nice
- Fold flat/removable back seat(s) (sprog goes in one rear seat and can then use the space left as a play area when we get there)
- Rotating front seat (sit in front and watch sprog whilst partner sailing)
- Some form of credibility (2nd down size in 12 months is getting me down)
- Somewhere for the sunglasses to be safely stored (at least 3 pairs…. You can’t have too many!)

So there you have it...all serious suggestions will be considered!

Ta

SeanBo

badexcuseforasailor - 29-9-2003 at 18:03

I know the astra estate front seats folds back flat ish enough to get board/sails and that in, has a 60/40 roof bars should have air con, cheap as its due for replacement in 2004

Have u looked round at the beach at what cars people use and how kits fits in

griptool - 29-9-2003 at 18:23

If it's credibility you want, go for a VW Transporter

Four doors and loads of space in the boot!!

Forget about a swivel seat and go for a futon in the back

SinistaPenguin - 30-9-2003 at 08:16

I had a similar dilemma back in May when my infant came along.

I ended up buying a Toyota Avensis 1.8 GS VVTI 02 Reg with 12 K on the clock, CD, ABS, Climate Control & Sat Nav for £7995.

Since they bought out the new shape, there are deals to be had on the old one!

Worth looking at - the VVTI is making this petrol engine as economical as my Diesel Polo.

Cheers

SeanBo - 30-9-2003 at 18:09

Sadly I can't do the VW as it is not the bosses idea of a reps car. IO am also not given the choise of petrol....its the new company rule....keep the suggestions coming

badexcuseforasailor - 30-9-2003 at 18:52

How about an espace, sharan or something like that ? or is that not reppy enough?
mmmmmmm is reppy a word?

SeanBo - 1-10-2003 at 07:44

I quite like to look of the new Espace, but suspect the Sharan is too expensive. Will have a look this w/e if I can as I can't come to Borth :-(

Spencer - 1-10-2003 at 19:49

What about a VW golf estate TDI,

paul - 1-10-2003 at 19:57

VW golf's are great, the new VW diesel engines are supposed to be fantastic

Still I'm now dreaming of the new 174bhp VW Transporter - drool

markh - 2-10-2003 at 10:57

Can't believe I'm getting excited by vans but anyway the new Transporter does look excellent! Slightly wider than before but still less than a Transit so ok for driving around town.

http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/newtransportershowroom/pages/home/index.html />
Have you had a test drive yet? Think I might go for one next time there's no wind though certainly can't afford to replace mine yet. How sad is that!

paul - 2-10-2003 at 11:50

very tempting idea to get a test drive, but there is no way I could afford one so I'd only be teasing myself, still looking for that elusive VW van for £5k in good nick that hasn't already done 150k miles !

justal - 3-10-2003 at 05:53

Get a tranny.... they are fine for driving around town, and I got mine in really good condition for £4k... It still hasn't done 150k miles either, but even if it had it wouldn't matter as my last one had done over 250,000 and the engine was still perfect.

When I was looking for vans I saw some transits with over 600,000 miles on the clock and the engines still sounded perfect.

The only trouble is as soon as I get hold of them they start rusting away.

Al.