Board logo

Weever fish sting!
shem - 21-7-2009 at 18:50

Geuss who got a spike in the foot on saturday! Just off the point in Aberdyfi, shallow water, a classic spot, so after years of dodging them, Ive been had a beauty.

Initially its a really painfull sting, and pretty massive pain for a hour or two. I didnt go and soak my foot in a bucket of hot water, which I knew I should, but assumed I could just grin and bare it! 3 days later know and Im suffering however, with a nicely swollen sole of my foot, so its anti biots and anti histameans!

So Ill be shoping for some light weight reef boots, kinda ironic considering I normally dont even wear wet suits boots in winter.

Any one else had one?

justal - 22-7-2009 at 08:11

Never had one but I've dealt with lots whilst working on the beaches in N. Devon... Sounds like a bad one or more likely it has become infected rather than just being the result of the sting itself. (Hence the anti-biotics as well as the anti-histamines.)

Al.

REECEY - 23-7-2009 at 18:34

There was a mention of the weever fish on the "one show" the other night. Only a small fish of obout 3" long with some spikes on the dorsal fin.
It must be bad enough to stand on one but what if i sit on one as i prepair to launch. OUCH.

[Edited on 23-7-2009 by REECEY]

[Edited on 23-7-2009 by REECEY]

bucski - 23-7-2009 at 19:05

You'll probably have to have your leg amputated Shem! Just think you'll be the first one legged kitesurfer in Wales!!!

shem - 23-7-2009 at 21:22

Thanks for the happy thoughts bucski! Well 6 days on, and i can just about walk with my foot flat, but not quite. still a half a golf ball size lump where it went in, and all the arch or my foot still bruised. Bought some reef boots today!

bucski - 24-7-2009 at 09:14

That must have been one mean mother of a weaver fish Shem you must of found the rock hardest tysonesque one around!

I know plenty of people who have stood on them and were fine shortly after, unlucky one, hope you recover to full form soon.

DARK SIDE - 24-7-2009 at 15:02

Hi Bud, got stung myself at Newboro and had three lumps similar to large bee stings. Like you, did nothing at first, but by the time I got home two hours later it was F in painful. Soaked it in water, as hot as I could bear and that kills the pain and neurtillises the toxins.This also partially works days after. But ultimately took weeks for the pain to disapear. Feels like there's something left in.
My girlfriend also got stung in the hand and the same aplllied.

Still dont wear boots or gloves, just know what to do, sooner if it ever happens again.

shem - 24-7-2009 at 18:39

Nasty, my big mistake was that I knew exactly what to do, but being at a beach a miles drive away from hot water, and I was working, so just didnt bother, stupid I know. Im a wek in now, And the majority of the swelling has gone down, the actualy area I got stung is still looking like half a golf ball mind. Nasty!

col123 - 25-7-2009 at 06:45

if you'd be stung in the family jewels at least the misses would be pleased with the swelling

One legged kiter tim, mmmmmmm
hey shem that might work at least when you crash you'd have an excuse, and you'd only need to buy one boot...

come to think of it you'd be quids in , i often see one shoe or boot discarded at the side of the road, you'd be set for life

[Edited on 25-7-2009 by col123]

Fart Boy - 25-7-2009 at 17:53

Last year in Dyfi about the only thing my son could catch when fishing was those bloody things. He wondered why I screamd at him as he went to pick it up. Had a good look though and they are nasty little buggers.

shem - 26-7-2009 at 08:48

well sorry all but the foot is better. swelling gone except for a inch around where the puncture was. Boots now bought!

DARK SIDE - 26-7-2009 at 20:59

Dont wimp out bud, boots are for winter and girls.

If your used to not wearing em, you'll soon get sick of em during the summer. They just make your feet sweat.

shem - 26-7-2009 at 22:37

Id normally agree on that, I dont wear them for winter, only for surfing reefs normally. But after missing nearly a week of work, and not being able to kite last weeks epic wind, Im gona give them a try, certanly for weaver prone months!

Dave - 27-7-2009 at 19:38

I got stung by one whilst in Margarita, straight in the ball of my foot. I took immediate action and actually went straight to the local Doc (who is French). I ended up on antibios for two weeks (whilst on holiday - bummer).
I wasn't sure whether it was made worse because it was in the tropics, but I can understand your pain.

btw I also saw people getting stung through booties, so I'm not sure how much help they'll be.

Sids Surf Shack - 15-9-2009 at 10:06

Yep...booties wont always be a protection!!!