Board logo

Mobile Internet Cards
baileyman - 30-1-2007 at 13:10

I'm trying to sort out internet connections so I can work from the beach this year and have just seen the T-Mobile Data Card deal - £29 a month.

Only problem seems to be there's no Mobile 3G/High Speed Mobile in the Dovey/Borth area. Unless you park up outside McDonalds in Aber - which is no F....in use to anyone!!

What reception/speed do you boys get with the Vodafone cards (Jon'd hat / Spooks) on your Laptops ?

Rich

Spooker - 30-1-2007 at 13:30

Dovey/Borth is 56k, reception is ok rather than good, an ariel extension helps a bit.

pebble - 30-1-2007 at 16:39

Hi Rich, I use my T-Mobile 3G/GPRS datacard whilst sitting in the car in the main Dyfi carpark. There is no 3G coverage, but I have found the GPRS coverage good.

T-Mobile GPRS is also OK at Tywyn, but I have not checked in over at Ynyslas.

jon

nick-r - 30-1-2007 at 17:05

quote:
Originally posted by baileyman
I'm trying to sort out internet connections so I can work from the beach this year

thats if you can still remember how to get here rich....

jon d hat - 30-1-2007 at 17:50

Dovey main carpark works fine on GPRS 56k but Borth is a strugle, where we usualy park it keeps droppin out.

I got mine so that I could research for my uni assignmants when away but its that slow, the battery runs out before you can download a 1mb pdf LOL.

I usually log off before I throw my laptop in the drink

baileyman - 31-1-2007 at 17:51

Cheers guys

Seems my plan might not be a goer - I need a little more than 56k to get a decent connection to my work server. Loathed to sign up for a 12 months contract if it's not gonna do the biz.

See you all soon I hope.

Rich

Dandine - 31-1-2007 at 23:03

I've recently been looking at a datacard for my powerbook. What kind of speed can you get with these cards when you can get a 3G connection? Also just for surfing the net do you find the 56K does the job?

justal - 1-2-2007 at 07:52

You just need to find someone with an open wireless connection near the beach.... Mine isn't powerful enough to make it to the beach, but I have had people using it from the roadside!

I don't have the wireless option on my router switched on anymore though because my PowerBook blew up so don't need it, and can't afford the bandwidth for everyone else to use it as well!

Al.

carlessd - 5-2-2007 at 19:10

take a look here

all the info you should need rich

Dandine - 5-2-2007 at 22:30

Will take my powerbook down this weekend and see if i can latch onto someone open wireless connection. I don't bother with passwords for mine so others must do the same. Cheers for the info