Board logo

Windy Weekend Ahead
justal - 8-9-2004 at 05:41

I don't want to get too excited yet, but has anyone sen the forecast for the weekened yet:

Sat: SW Force 4, increasing 5-6.
Sun: SW Force 5-7.

Who's gonna be around?

Al.

IainO - 8-9-2004 at 07:10

I'll be down at Bigbury at the Triple Crown seeing how it should be done. It seems too good to be true to have a forecast like this after the weekend wind drought we've had in the SW this summer

Hope I haven't jinxed it

Bananaman - 8-9-2004 at 09:10

Typically I have to visit my Ma this weekend. That's why its going to be windy.

Wes - 8-9-2004 at 09:38

I'll be sailing, but o the south coast again. Funds are running short this month so need to go to the nearest part of the coast.....

Still, its gonna be great fun!

rob - 8-9-2004 at 15:48

very tempted to pay a visit on sunday al, i'll keep an eye on the forecast

dunk - 8-9-2004 at 18:54

Workin at the weekend , should get to windsurf though , Be down late Sunday for a week !

John C - 8-9-2004 at 19:45

Heading for Rhosneiger, rented a flat for the week. Remnants of huricaine Frances this weekend with Ivan due to hit the states this weekend may be more wind on the way!

bucski - 8-9-2004 at 21:15

i shall be there on sunday, col is going then too, me thinks

Jonah - 8-9-2004 at 22:33

If forcast holds will be down early Sunday. Need to get to Boardwise first and havn't sailed in a while. Hoping to see some loops and maybe find out how i can go about attempting one?!?!?!

justal - 9-9-2004 at 05:18

Uh oh.... sounds as though the pressure is on for some loops now!!

Will no doubt be giving it a go if my new mast has arrived. Spencer, are you coming up to contune where you left off last time?? Who else is joining the 'I'm gonna go for a loop' pact?

It looks as though the weather will be pretty miserable over the weekend, and it will be feeling cold, especially after the schorching week we've had.

Al.

shem - 9-9-2004 at 05:51

Looks like Ill be playing all weekend, as it will probably be to bleeding windy for teaching!!

IainO - 9-9-2004 at 07:45

John C

Off to Rhosneigr on Sunday for the week as well, there will be 20 of us doing an RYA course. Looking at the synoptic charts it's going to be a baptism of fire for the first few day's, some of the guys are learning to waterstart

Should be good though, better than a week at work

hairykitedude - 9-9-2004 at 08:53

I'm hoping it isnt too desparate for us as we are having the Ozone kites demo on the beach up from cemetery to tawyn, looks rather seiouis, inclined to agree with shem, playtime!
If anyone is interested in trying some of the best foil kites come on over and visit us,check out the Samurai, Frenzy and for buggy racers the Razor. thats me-tom rob steve one of our riders and marc who's windsurfing. Looks like the winsurfers have it though, wind like that and you guys definately have the advantage and there was me praying for wind.......!?

John C - 9-9-2004 at 16:10

IanO

RYA course, learning to waterstart in F6+ winds, that should be entertaining! Seriously if your on the right size kit it should be manageable (probably).

justal - 9-9-2004 at 17:10

And if they are 'lucky and we get Force 7, then they'll be able to waterstart in the straps, get catapulted and straight into a forward loop!!

Al.

kelvin - 9-9-2004 at 18:22

hmmmmm what can I say except its looking soooooo gooood for my way , looks llike some decent swell as well

shem - 9-9-2004 at 19:53

Looks like a 40 mph weekend. might see if I can demo a ozone imp 1 meter to go kitesurfing!!

justal - 9-9-2004 at 20:07

Still looking OK for Sat & Sun, although Monday and Tuesday now look like the REALLY windy days... I hope this isn't another of those phantom winds invented by the met office that always seems to be a few days ahead of us.

Al.

col123 - 9-9-2004 at 20:43

looks like 15m weather for me then ...i knew the pies would come in handy..i'll be up a.s.a.p on sunday but coming of nights ....c u all then

[Edited on 9-9-2004 by col123]

Jonny - 10-9-2004 at 01:02

Just read this from www.metcheck.com

Stormy Monday
Added [Wednesday September 08 2004 : 10:57:27 AM]

Bit of concern at the moment regarding next weeks weather as things turn much more unsettled.
Many of the models are now in agreement with a complex low crossing to the North of the UK, this will act like a main cog and allow secondary lows to run along the southern flank of the low. One of these secondary lows (expected on Monday) will be the remnants of Hurricane Frances.
The concern lies in the thermal gradient between the main low and the secondary lows, at present it's pretty exceptional with very cold air to the North and very warm air being dragged in ahead of the secondary low. Strong thermal gradients mean one thing... jet streaks or jet surges. If the models have this sussed then the UK can certainly expect gales, however we'll be watching the gust recordings along the Southern flank of the secondary low...
Gonna have a whale of a time practising my waterstarts, I mean catapults

bucski - 10-9-2004 at 06:24

sunday's looking a bit better now, was thinking I might be flying a tesco's bag at the rate the forecast was going!
will be at the golf course car park around 11 I guess, see you all then

kelvin - 10-9-2004 at 15:00

agg well looks like weekends falling short, mid week next looking better ,

justal - 10-9-2004 at 20:06

Now you're just being fussy, they are still forecasting Force 5 for most of the weekend!!... Although Force 6 would be nicer!

Al.

kelvin - 11-9-2004 at 15:10

what i say windy weekend " MY ARSE "

Spencer - 11-9-2004 at 19:23

seems bleeding windy out now 40 knts in the channel! gotta work tomorrow & monday off tues weds so hope the forcasts r right!!!

justal - 11-9-2004 at 20:30

Yep. it was windy here first thing today (25 knots), eased off during the day (15-18 knots), but picked up in the squalls and then as it got dark started blowing a hoolie from the NW.

Tomorrow looks windy in the morning again, easing for a bit mid afternoon and then blowing a hoolie overnight again... Should be able to get out on the water.

Al.

kelvin - 12-9-2004 at 06:17

windy ? guys out this way on 8m in aft , did pick up in evening though .

justal - 12-9-2004 at 06:23

It MUST be windy there now Kelvin....its been blowing a hoolie here all night, and still is.

Al.

kelvin - 12-9-2004 at 06:50

bit lifeless again early this morn but windguru suggests pick up by 10 am then wind all through aft , only about 16mph not the tv 30+forcast , but swell is looking good , going to porthcawl as tide times for barry are in the board wrecking mode . Will be a bit onshore at Treco so looks like a wobble out from Newton into wind , wound most of locals up so looks like i,ll see a lot of swimming in/out .

justal - 12-9-2004 at 07:45

I'm having a lazy start this morning...Its 25 knots out there at the mo and looks set to stay that way all day, so theres no rush, and every muscle in my body aches, so I might leave it until about 10am as well...

10 hours recovery time between sessions is just not enough.

Al.

kelvin - 12-9-2004 at 17:47

well came right today had a good 25+ all afternoon , feeling the ache myself now 5hr maxed out on a 4.5m is hard work .
but i,ll still manage a go 2morro if its good .
very busy this way today with non locals , but looks like it will be back to normal though week with just the normal sad gits out .