Board logo

Anyone running the London Marathon this weekend?
Chaos - 13-4-2004 at 15:42

Possibly not really an F-O-N topic but I'll be spectating at around the 18-mile mark so if you post your number, estimated finishing time and what you'll be wearing I'll keep an eye out and get a few people yelling.

Get the jelly bean/chocy/coke order in as well and I'll see what I can do!

justal - 13-4-2004 at 15:45

Nice one.... Its almost worth trying to get a late entry just for the free jelly beans, chocolate and coke!!!

Al.

paul s - 13-4-2004 at 16:37

My wife Ali is. Number 51586. She'll be on about 5:15 pace. Running in a 'Children with Leukaemia' vest covered in Mr Men figures. Another Sunday when I'm hoping it isn't windsurfing weather.

badexcuseforasailor - 13-4-2004 at 17:50

Get ready its gonna be windy on Sunday Was my turn to do the family thing couple of weeks ago when it was blowing its socks off.
Good luck to your wife paul I don't know how people manage to run a marathon I have nothing but admiration for them. Im coughing and wheezing after 100m.

markh - 13-4-2004 at 21:50

If an 80 year old can do it...

Seriously though I think almost anyone can, but really there needs to be less emphasis on marathons as being the only thing that running is all about. It's a bit like saying olympic windsurfing is the ultimate thing in windsurfing - how many here train religiously on their IMCOs?!!

Far better to go in for a local 5k or something and take a few months to train for it starting with the odd 15 minute walk/run combination plod. Believe it or not it's actually enjoyable that way too, and on the whole runners are a decent bunch of people - like windsurfers!

paul s - 19-4-2004 at 08:49

She did it, and finished ahead of target time. She's been a runner for many years and done quite a few halfs, but this was the first (and now last !) full marathon. She agrees with markh - life's too short to spend all that time doing running training. Give her (and me) a Cornish coast path run anyday....

markh - 19-4-2004 at 09:02

Great news, Paul. Congratulations to her.

Having said there's too much focus on marathons, I've got to confess that I missed not being out there and running. Spectating was fun but not quite the same...