Board logo

SNOW!!!
justal - 26-2-2004 at 06:40

Theres a fair bit of snow here on the beach today. Whats it like everywhere else??

I might have to take a 'sicky' and go snow-boarding in the hills!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 26-2-2004 at 08:31

Got a little frost here but thats it, never get much snow here

bucski - 26-2-2004 at 08:44

no snow in shrewsbury,
why not take a kite with you Al? save hiking back up the hill
tim

justal - 26-2-2004 at 08:45

Thats my plan...

The necessary phonecalls have been made, the snowboard has come out of the shed, bindings have been checked and I've found my boots.... I just hope theres enough snow in the hills.

Al.

AndyW - 26-2-2004 at 09:24

Snow showers and Sun around the Midlands and -4C when I got in the car this morning.

Have fun with the snow boarding!

rob - 26-2-2004 at 10:25

oh dear... does that mean i have to spend even more cash on more toys... snowboard..... bindings... boots.... ahhh even better - snowmobile!!

i think thats pushing the ol' student loan a bit!

i've attached a pic of aber at the minute - theres more snow than there appears to be in the photo.

bucski - 26-2-2004 at 11:09

let us kno how you get on
does that mean there is going to be a snowkiting section in the diaries?!

Jonny - 26-2-2004 at 12:44

My lectures have all been cancelled this afternoon cos of the snow so think Im gonna have to go sledging, the snow is now a few inches thick in places.

justal - 26-2-2004 at 14:46

Just got back from a good snow-boarding session on a hil above Bow St. There was about 6 inches of snow when I left and it is still snowing heavily!!...

My legs are going to ache tomorrow though afetr walking up that hill so many times. There wasn't any wind so there was no chance to try snow-kiting, but if it fills in later I might have a go on the golf course!!

Al

rob - 26-2-2004 at 14:52

nice one! i've been out on the mountain board again... well more like out WITH the mountain board again, i didnt spend much time on it!!

Thodd - 26-2-2004 at 15:21

I envy you people that aren't stuck in a sweaty office!

rob - 26-2-2004 at 15:48

study for a (another?) degree - its really really really hard work.... no free time, constantly reading and studying, so stressful... yeah right!! now what shall i do with the rest of my day off!?!

Spencer - 26-2-2004 at 16:16

Bloody hell has just started snowing here,& has started pitching after jut 5 mins... got to drive to work in the min. should be fun?

davidf - 26-2-2004 at 16:30

hmmm, all this snow is making me jealous. and also a bit worried i might not actually make it to wales this weekend if there's too much snow around!

Wes - 26-2-2004 at 16:32

Yep, it looks good out there!

I have just had a long discussion with the rest of the bumpkins about what "pitching" means - it would appear I am the only person around here who has never heard it!

justal - 26-2-2004 at 16:34

Aha... At last, someone else who understand the word pitching!!!

Everyone else seems to talk about it sticking!!

But, being Bristolian, it 'pitches' for me too.!!

Al.

justal - 26-2-2004 at 18:00

Woohoo... Here we go again.

The sun came out for a while this afternoon, but all of a sudden its blizzard conditions out there now. The wind has picked up to a good 15-20 knots and its snowing heavily...

Al.

Spencer - 26-2-2004 at 18:55

After taking 30 mins to get no where! decided to give up & not go to work.

paz - 26-2-2004 at 19:45

No snow as yet near Bromsgrove! But thanks Justal, was comin down to the coast Friday aft- with my boards, now I know i've got to take my snow chains for the motor & Ice breaker for the front of my board, Hope its windy enough, It need 15mph of wind to work best!

justal - 26-2-2004 at 20:02

Theres about 6 inches now I'd say, although it is deeper in places.

Not sure where we'll go snow-kiting yet, we'll just look around until we find somewhere big enough and flat enough.. Maybe just a football field, or maybe try kiting up the hills.

Not sure how much snow will be around tomorrow, but I can still always go out on the sea if the snow disappears as it looks as though there should be some wind... Mind you, I suppose I should do some work if the roads are clear!!!

Al.

rob - 26-2-2004 at 20:03

between 5 and 8 inches of snow. wish i'd got some skiing kit with me!

this is what its like in aber at the minute

rob - 26-2-2004 at 20:08

and of course you can relive your childhood with a tray and some snow - just add a ramp!

zelwaters - 26-2-2004 at 21:56

oh im really excited now, just bought my boots and got a board and some bindings, so should be hitting the welsh snow at the weekend, i just hop to god that it sticks, what do u reckon, do u think it will? which day u reccommend, and where in aber should i get out to?
cheers guys, p.s, if any one could reccommend a place nearer to manchester where it is snowing lots and lots with lots and lots and lots of snow, then just lemme know, cheers again zelxx

justal - 27-2-2004 at 06:32

Hmmm... Who knows. There has been a bit more overnight, but not a huge amount. There might be some more this afternoon, but then again it is just as likely to rain and melt it all.

Puttin my neck on the line, I don't think there will be lots left for the weekend, but I could be completely wrong!

Al.

justal - 27-2-2004 at 08:02

Actually Zel.... I've just seen the latest forecast, and there is a bit more snow forecast for today so you may be in luck!!

I'm off to play in it again this morning!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 27-2-2004 at 08:51

Its not fair haven't even seen a flake of snow here not even a bit of frost on the car this morning

justal - 27-2-2004 at 12:01

Haha.... We had another good session carving sweet lines in the powder this morning...dude!!

Al.

RobbieC - 27-2-2004 at 13:25

If your in Manchester you could go snow boarding through Moss Side, there certainly is some really nice people there

====

Due to being asked why I posted this, its a joke (there you go rob )

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by RobbieC]

justal - 27-2-2004 at 16:51

I've just got back from another session on the hill. The snow has melted quite a bit though and there were some big patches of grass on south facing slopes when I left.

Had a go at snow-kiting though. Getting going wasn't that easy, but once up and riding it was OK and I pulled off some big jumps. One or two were about 7-8 foot, then I tried one on my weaker side and ended up with a fairly sore arse!!!

Lets hope we get some more snow overnight otherwise things don't look too good for tomorrow.

Al.

justal - 27-2-2004 at 17:03

---- STOP PRESS, STOP PRESS ----

Its snowing again!!

Al.

Thodd - 27-2-2004 at 17:05

Its Snowing in Warrington as well Wooooo Hooooo....

... oh hang on....... its stopped!

......bugger!

justal - 27-2-2004 at 17:14

Its pretty heavy here at the mo and the wind has pciked up with it.... Lets hope it lasts and isn't just a short sharp flurry.

Al.

rob - 27-2-2004 at 17:30

Straight from the Met Office, so it's bound to be wrong!
www.meto.gov.uk

REGIONAL FLASH WARNINGS OF SEVERE WEATHER
These warnings are issued when severe weather is expected to cause disruption to traffic etc. over the next few hours.

Heavy Snow
Affecting Pembrokeshire
Showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected to become more frequent and heavy across west Pembrokeshire and western Cornwall during the day, giving some significant falls locally over hills. Driving conditions are likely to be dangerous at times in some of the heavier showers.

Issued by Met Office.
Valid from: Friday 27 February, 2004 at 12:00
Expires on: Saturday 28 February, 2004 at 00:00

ok so we're not in pembrokeshire, but its close! ever the optimist....

rob - 27-2-2004 at 17:34

get any photos of the snowboarding action al??

wez - 27-2-2004 at 17:43

well its snowing in cornwall as well theres not to much ,but its good fun in the car..... look out people in cornwall ,i'm the one going down the road sideways :}

justal - 27-2-2004 at 20:18

Sorry... we didn't get any photos. I haven't got a digital camera and carrying my SLR around the hills is just too much hassle.

It was snowing heavily here just a minute ago and theres a light covering over the roads and other places it had melted again.. Lets just hope those snow-clouds heading for Pembro and Cornwall push a little further East first and get us!!

Al.

rob - 27-2-2004 at 21:05

never mind! time to add a digital camera to your wish list!

i'm really annoyed i have no ski's!! after not being able to afford a ski hol this year this just really takes the p*ss not being able to have a go here! bloody hell! frustrating or what?!?

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by rob]

zelwaters - 28-2-2004 at 01:10

hey al, hmm just got me a new board, santa cruz, c fiend 152cm, absolute bargin!

so looks like im off to the hills xxxx

justal - 28-2-2004 at 08:06

Get out there quick... we didn't have a lot more snow here overnight and its now melting quickly... Have fun.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 28-2-2004 at 09:03

STOP THE PRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just seen a flake of snow

only one though

justal - 28-2-2004 at 16:40

I went off to the hills this morning, to the place I had been trying to persuade Shem to go to for the last coupld of days.. The show was thigh deep in places (I know I'm not very tall, but thats still a couple of feet!) and I had a excellent time boarding down through gullies that formed a kind of wide natural half-pipe which meant I was carving from rail to rail on big banks of powder!!!!

Zel... Did you manage to get out with our new board??

Al.

zelwaters - 29-2-2004 at 22:56

nah i didnt get out in the end, me and carlos were ready to to go snow kiting, but the guys we were with, said there wasnt enough snow, and we were all eady and everything, damm gutted now that i have seen ur post, should have gone, especially after i went toa ll that trouble to get the gear!!!!

Have attached some pics of me in action today
u guys been askin to see and i finally managed to get round to doing it

[Edited on 29-2-2004 by zelwaters]

zelwaters - 29-2-2004 at 22:58

she tries again

justal - 1-3-2004 at 07:15

I'm dissappointed in you Zel... buying all that kit and then not even making the effort to use it... I should take away one of your gold stars!!!

Theres still plenty of snow up there on North Facing slopes today... Unfortunately I have to work all day (thats right... a WHOLE days work!!) so won't have chance to go out and play.

Al.

zelwaters - 2-3-2004 at 02:11

hey al, just how much snow is ur way, and how long is it likely to last?

anymore snow forecasted?

might pull a sicky myself!

no the reason we didnt head out is because we were supposed to go out with someone else who can instruct us a little, never actually done it b4, (carlos very safety conscious) so we're going to our local snowboard centre to get some lessons in lol

i am truly dissapointed in myself for the both of us so il make sure i dont miss on any other opporunities if i can help it lol

Zel xx

justal - 2-3-2004 at 06:37

Theres still enough snow for snowboarding on noth facing slopes around here, but there isn't any more forecasted at the moment, and its going to warm up and rain tomorrow so today would be the last day.

Lessons!!! None of us had ever done it before either... (well I had a few years back here in Wales when we had some snow), but we just strapped the boards on and gave it a go. Theres not much that can go wrong really. Its not as though you'd launch yourself straight down a near vertical slope with a 60 foot cliff to drop off at the bottom (unless you were a bit stupid!).

But then again I haven't had any lessons in any of the sports I do. I tend to just buy the kit and make it up as I go along.

I still can't believe you bought all the kit and then didn't give it a go! When you told us the name of the board, its length etc. I assumed you knew what you were talking about and had done it all before (It didn't mean anything to me as I don't know what length a snowboard should be!!)

Which snowboard centre will you go to then?? You've got to get out on your board now that you've got it.

Al.

Joner - 2-3-2004 at 07:10

Hehe... I knew it.

I knew that as soon as I logged back on here there would have been a hive of activity because of the snow.

Sounds like you all had a good time.

Zelwaters... you must have more money than is good for you going out and buying new kit just to use on those rare occasions that we get snow, and then not even using it anyway. Al was right, in true Victor Meldrew style...

"I don't Beeeelieve it!!'

Joner

zelwaters - 4-3-2004 at 12:23

hey what can i say, i truly thought we were gonna go, damm im never gonna live this stick down am i?

there are loadsa indoor places near by, we have tamworth, leeds, ski slope in rossendale, plenty of learning space, were planning on going not this weekend, but the weekend after :> .

Well one thing is for sure, at least ive got the stuff now, and dont have to muck around getting last minute gear the next time i wanna go, which is v soon .... teeehee

shawn - 4-3-2004 at 14:16

Hey Zel - Good air, wickedly good photo!!
By the way, if yer going learning to board (snow, that is), I'd highly recommend the slope at sheffield - it's got much better facilities that rossendale, and shreds yer butt less - although it takes about 30 mins more to get there from Manc land.
http://www.sheffieldskivillage.co.uk/

rob - 14-3-2004 at 20:57

here's some evidence of the snowboarding and snowkiting taken in wales at the end of feb, sorry about the poor scan quality - i'll upload some better ones to my site as and when i get chance!

rob

rob - 14-3-2004 at 20:58

and another

yet another

last one - for more check out my site

zelwaters - 17-3-2004 at 01:25

oooh sum good pics... ta for the advice lol... will probably get to either tamworth or leeds,,, ireckon leeds is closer so will check it out..... oooh i didnt write a diary entry (dont think at least)..... took my blade III 8.5 out in the water with me last weekend and the weekend B4.... got some quality body dragging done... However was still in my 3mm suit..... DUH oh welll as soon as i got back out on the beach and did some ladnboarding warmed up really quickly..... was a really good session not last sun but sun b4 had onshore winds between 12- 15mph.....LOVED IT!

anyway enuf already with the bragging.... anyone else had any wkd sessions?

shawn - 17-3-2004 at 09:13

Zel - you must be a raging loon going out in a 3mm suit in this weather - or I'm particularly nesh, 'cos there's no way I'd even consider it!! Nutter!

The place at Leeds is great for learning boarding - and check out the suspended playground in the entrance hall when you enter the building!! The skate park rocks too if you do that sort of stuff.

I've just bin rippin' it up in the 3 valleys (France) for a week - perfect snow, so deep it was almost impossible to hurt yourself (tried my best inc. 2 headfirst landings!!) - worst injury sustained was from sledging down a (unbeknown to me at the time) rocky hill on a placky bag when full of beer on the 1st night.