Board logo

seals
wez - 21-2-2004 at 13:23

Do seals bite ? or will seals mistake you for a female seal (thats if you bodyboard or surf ) and try and get it on with you .would like to hear if anybody has had an incounter with these pesky critters

justal - 21-2-2004 at 13:51

It has happened, but its very unlikely... They are just very inquisitive.

Say 'hello' to them, let them snort at you and they'll just get on with their business and leave you to it.

Al.

Thodd - 23-2-2004 at 11:43

I got chatting with a oldish very large happy welsh man at hells mouth a couple of months back. He'd been longboarding at the mouth for over 30 years. He told me a story about one of his friends who got bit on the bum by a female seal in pup in the late 70's. Apparently it ruined his wetsuit and caused him to have a few stitches on his left cheek!

But since this is the only incident he knows of in 30 years I think its safe to say its rare!

I was amazed to see how good he was at surfing for an old fat man aswell!!!!

Joner - 24-2-2004 at 20:28

I've heard one or two stories of people being bitten by seals too. Never anything too severe, usually just a warning telling them to piss off I think.

I guess if one was really attacking it could do a fair bit of damage though.

Joner.

simonzz - 24-2-2004 at 21:39

Seem to recall during the era of dayglo wetsuits a guy being bitten when surfing wearing yellow mitts

Rabbit - 25-2-2004 at 08:07

Was having a look a boards last night, will have to look what issue (back) there was an article on sailing with nature, there was some girl posing with a seal on her board, also posing with a penguin.