Board logo

New to Aber, keen to find kitesurfing buddies :)
ST£V£ - 29-12-2015 at 10:04

Hi good people!

I have just moved to Aberystwyth and keen to continue to learn, and improve my kitesurfing capabilities.

I haven't surfed for 6 months now, but have all my own equipment and once my kite is up, I can carry on, on my own.

Is there a kite-surfing community here who meet regularly in favourable conditions to help me land/launch my kite, or teach me how to self-launch etc?

Looking forward to meeting you at some point!

Cheers

Steve

[Edited on 29-12-2015 by ST£V£]

justal - 29-12-2015 at 15:51

Steve, if you have transport then you'll be best heading north a little to Borth and Ynyslas which is where most people around here kitesurf. It's a huge sandy beach with plenty of room for launching and landing and usually a few people around to help out as well.

If you turn up at the beach (park at the northern end of the Car Park at the Ynyslas turn) then you'll soon meet up with everyone who kitesurfs from there.

If the winds are offshore on the seafront (Easterly) then people head to the estuary instead (especially in a NE when Ivor kicks in!). To get there, just keep going straight on at the Ynyslas turn until you end up on the sands of the estuary. Again, loads of room here for launching and landing and you park right on the sands - just don't drive too far onto the sand as you'll get stuck and be warned that the tide comes right up to the dunes on Springs.

Al.

col123 - 4-1-2016 at 20:07

Steve, as Al has stated aim for far end of whats known as golf course car park, this is where the groins end and its where most kite from.

If its windy there's usually people about but mostly weekends, unless its nuking when people will turn up any day

we even use the groins as a tether point to self launch and land, you can get big waves and quite rough conditions.

Once the tide drops if your after flat water, you can head down the beach towards the estuary and play in the lagoons, just make sure you keep to the Borth side of the sandbar.

If in Doubt just ask at the beach for pointers