Board logo

kayaking
jblade - 16-9-2004 at 12:11

Does any one know of any good play spots for kayaking or any secrete spots round the Aberystwyth area? If any one does please let me know where (Grid Reference E.C.T) I might of found one but I have yet to paddle it!

Angry_Apple - 21-9-2004 at 20:56

hi there
Im from Aber kayakers and we go kayak surfing down the trap, its a bit scary at first but you will get used to it............
Del boy

justal - 21-9-2004 at 21:16

I think you'll find jblade was looking for rivers to paddle, and as a level 2 kayak coach he (she?) probably wouldn't find the Trap 'scary'!!!

jbade...where is the spot you 'may' have found? I've explored most sections of the Rheidol, Ystwyth and Mynach in this area, but not really from a kayakers perspective.... I'm sure some sections of the Rheidol would be prety good.

Al.

jblade - 22-9-2004 at 08:12

Yer the trap gets a boring after a while as Al says I was looking for play spots on rivers. I am also from Aber kayakers (if u thought about it know who I am [delyth]).
The play spot I might of found is at the very end of cwm rheidol when it been raining the river is flowing it comes over a drop fast a creates a wave. Unfortunately still to paddle it maybe this evening.

justal - 22-9-2004 at 11:06

Yep, there are a few spots in the Rheidol.... Are you on about the area pretty much at the upstream end of the road in Cwm Rheidol. Theres a little parking area just as the road turns into a track and a few little falls that look as though they would be fun in a kayak.

Al.

jblade - 22-9-2004 at 16:27

yep. let u know what it is like after paddling it

justal - 22-9-2004 at 20:11

Cool... I've seen people kayak that section before. I even went there with Aber kayakers many years ago. I can't remember much about it though and think we just endd up floating down it without the boats and doing resuce practise with throw-ropes etc.

Al.